IBI Magazine Report

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Reports published in the US indicate that Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP) has ceased building Johnson branded outboards and will build no more in 2008. This effectively puts an end to the iconic brand. According to the report, BRP said that it would be focusing all of its efforts on Evinrude branded E-TEC engines. BRP indicated that it recognised the value of the Johnson name and was evaluating if and how it could leverage it in the future. BRP offices in Switzerland and Belgium did not return calls when efforts were made to determine how this move will affect Johnson dealers in Europe.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: IBI Magazine Report

this had been suspected for the last year. i understand that they quit production about 6 months ago.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't believe that BRP will allow the Johnson Brand to die completely. There are too many brand loyal people out here.

Look for some sort of new product in the next few years branded Johnson; perhaps direct injected 4 strokes or some new technology in small outboards.

It is my opinion (worth what it costs) that E-Tech technology is too heavy and too expensive for kickers and other small outboards, but that there is room for some alternate, clean technology there.

MikDee

Banned

Another sad note in history today! Sure, I know Johnson/Evinrude are clones, but still I bet there was marketshare there, with dyed in the wool owners, and prospective buyers. I felt the same way when GM in their infinite wisdom decided to drop Oldsmobile, it used to be closer to, and the experimental car for Cadillac. I'd rather it had been Buick, if they'd had to drop one. I also had the same feelings when OMC went belly up, and at the time I had a boat with twin 4.3V6 OMC Cobra's, and after learning the quircks of these drives compared to the Mercruisers I had, I kinda liked them, especially with the easier to service water pumps, & easy gear oil dipstick check. I guess it's just another sign of the times, I have trouble getting over.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Actually the last production of a Johnson 2 stroke was about 1 1/2 years ago (May of 06). BRP is keeping the name and will obviously continue to offer support.

wbeaton

Commander

Like JB, I'm optimistic that Johnson will be back. Of course, that could be wishful thinking.

tommays

Admiral

They put Can-Am on the shelf around 1987 for a good 20 years till they used it again for there Quads

And i can assure you the parts support was short and NOT sweet

Tommays

D

DJ

Like JB, I'm optimistic that Johnson will be back. Of course, that could be wishful thinking.

I agree they will hold the rights to the name. I do not think it will be back. Brand loyalty is a thing of the past. People don't care anymore.

I buy depending largely on where the company calls home. I am old fashioned. I was a tried and true OMC guy.:( We now have two Mercury's and a MerCruiser in the fleet. All three have been flawless.:)

wbeaton

Commander

Brand loyalty is a thing of the past. People don't care anymore.

Can't say as I agree with that, but I know it is true to some extent. People certainly careless than they used to. Its more about price than quality. If I was to buy a new outboard I'd buy a Johnson/Evinrude if I had the choice and as long as they were competitively priced. I'd pay more for my brand, but I probably wouldn't pay more than say 10-20%. However, since I don't buy new motors its really just a moot point.