Eye bolt? Evinrude 75 HP 1961

Lostuzer

Cadet
Eyebolt.jpg

Evinrude 75 HP 1961
Mod.# 50525
SN 04272

As you can see I didn't know how to properly hang my unit.

I'd like to finish my work on it and tank test it before I do some work to the transom which will require a better method of hanging than this.

Where and how do I suspend my motor properly?

Thanks,
Bob

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Eye bolt? Evinrude 75 HP 1961

I can see the hex head bolt in the recoil starter housing, right next to the yellow strap, that normally holds the lifting bail. There should be another such bolt on the opposite side of the recoil. Is the bail that goes between them missing? ("bail"--like the handle on a paint can)

Lostuzer

Cadet

Eyehookbail.jpg

The bail has been scavenged as were many other things. Is it that simple that I could make a bail and use the two bolts for suspending the whole unit?

Thanks,
Bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bob, The original was a round steel rod shaped like the handle on a common rubber pail. It rotated on the bolts and clipped into the little hook in the back of the recoil starter housing. (it is visible in your second foto). You could use a length of chain and bolt each end. Or you could rig up a piece of steel cable (7/32" minimum) with loops to fit the bolts.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The original was pretty tough heat treated steel. I don't know about a home-made one unless you use an equal quality steel. I like Chris' suggestion.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's a picture of the original lifting bail

Attachments

• Engine bail.JPG
    Engine bail.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 0

Lostuzer

Cadet

I wasn't sure if the cover should take all of that weight. Now knowing I believe I'll use a piece of chain big enough to be able to insert the shoulders of the bolts in. My thanks to Chris1956, and F_R for the advise. Thank you Evinrude Boater for the picture. Now I'll know what to look for the next time I'm at the marine salvage yard.

Sincerely,
Bob
leapingfish.gif

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"I wasn't sure if the cover should take all of that weight."

The old one I've got hanging on the wal in my shop has been hanging on the bail for 20 years.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I've got one of those lifting bars/loops/bails from a motor I'm parting out. Drop me a PM with your contact info and I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping...
- Scott