1985 25hp evinrude

slammed2000

Cadet
well i have a couple of questions. first i must say that 20 years ago i became an omc certified outboard mechanic while i was in school i did this for about 5 years and haven't used it since. however i recently bought a 25 hp evinrude that had been dropped and broken the lower engine case. i ordered a new one it will be here tuesday. so my first question is what else will i need to replace when i replace this part like gaskets and such. i know that i have to pull the powerhead to replace this piece. second questions is about the choke/primer valve. this motor has not run i a while and i am sure at very least the carb needs cleaned but probably rebuilt. however i tried to run it today and went through the basic things before i started making sure i had spark and good compression which i do. my question is do i need to pump the primer valvle or just pull it on. i cannot remeber. i got it to fire for a couple of seconds but not run for any length of time.

thank you
aaron

wbeaton

Commander
Re: 1985 25hp evinrude

Prime by pulling the primer out and pushing in 3-5 times. Start with 3. Are you replacing the exhaust tower or the lower unit? If its the exhaust tower you will need a new powerhead to tower gasket. Replace the impeller and vent/drain screw seals.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

For starting cold, I pull and push mine 3 times..on the last pull...don't push it in, start the motor and let warm up a bit then push it all the way in. Works great.Gas only squirts on the pull but when you leave it out it lets gas through.

slammed2000

Cadet

thanks for all the quick replys i am going to try starting again. come to think of it i was not sure what was going on with the primer valve when i kept thinking that it was not staying out and i kept pulling it out and priming it. i am only replacing the lower engine cover not the exhaust housing.

thanks
aaron

jbjennings

Captain

Aaron,
If it's not staying out I'm thinking it must be because it's not getting fuel to your primer and you're pulling a vacuum on it, so the vacuum pulls the primer knob back in. You might have something stopped up---gas line, carb, etc.
just a thought,
JBJ