2001 Johnson 175 Ocean Pro

svfdjw

Recruit
Got a new (to me) boat with the said engine. It will fire up cold and go no problem, but after it is warm, park it for a few hours fishing, and fire it back up, it will die. Basically after I have been fishing for an hour or so, it fires right up and runs strong for a few seconds, then the idle drops and it will eventually stall while it is in neutral. If I try to throttle up in neutral it will stall, and if I put it in gear it will stall. I can get it to run great again if I just wait 15 minutes or so or just gun it in gear. This is my first outboard and I use the boat in Hawaii so any help would probably save my life. Thanks!

D

DJ

Re: 2001 Johnson 175 Ocean Pro

Welcome aboard!

You need to check a few things.

1. Compression. Should be even (within 10 psi of each other) and over 100.

2. When you have this issue is the fuel primer bulb flat? Is it soft? Does it make a difference if you give it a few squeezes first?

3. Are you getting a good stream of cooling water out of the tell tale?

svfdjw

Recruit

Got a good stream of water from the cooling port, fuel bulb it firm, will check compression in the morning and look at each plug. The engine runs great otherwise.

walleyehed

Admiral

If this is the OIS ingnition system, it may need looked at to see if the timing features are all in Sync. If it's been messed with at all, improperly, it will cause some problems.

jack456

Recruit

Got a new (to me) boat with the said engine. It will fire up cold and go no problem, but after it is warm, park it for a few hours fishing, and fire it back up, it will die. Basically after I have been fishing for an hour or so, it fires right up and runs strong for a few seconds, then the idle drops and it will eventually stall while it is in neutral. If I try to throttle up in neutral it will stall, and if I put it in gear it will stall. I can get it to run great again if I just wait 15 minutes or so or just gun it in gear. This is my first outboard and I use the boat in Hawaii so any help would probably save my life. Thanks!

I have the exact same problem. My mechanic has not been able to solve it and I wonder if you have THE ANSWER? Thanks