Sea King vs. Evinrude

Todd j

Seaman Apprentice
I have aquired a 7.5 horese Evinrude Fleetwin SN 277426. It has a tank with it!
I also, at the same time got a Mont. Wards Sea king 6hp Mod. vwb 52106 sn 57y 2114. They both have the same length from the transome to the prop centerline. I have managed to start each. The Evin. is missing all the knobs outside of the engine cover.

Which one would make the best kicker for a 14-17 ft boat. It will be a back up to my 50hp Mercjet. They both need carb, fuel pump, water pump, and new seals in the lower unit. I was able to find parts available for the sea king, but havent done any thing with either.

I am leaning slightly towards the Sea king as it is a slightly smaller package. I think it uses 50:1, I think the Evin. uses a more oil to fuel, but I dont know. If either one uses other that 50:1 it will require a second fuel tank to sit next to the one for the Merc.

What do you all think?

Todd

dono16

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Sea King vs. Evinrude

Hi,
people are going to be byast here , "i thought i saw this on the evinrude forum too" they were very byast! But hey use wich ever one runs better for your needs try them both out, wich ever one you dont need, sell youll get a few bucks if its a strong running motor, Ive had my share of evinrudes and 1 seaking this past summer , the bottom line is, u gotta put time, $$, and work into all these old motors, my seaking was a chrysler made motor, it almost identical to a Evinrude johnson, at least when i worked on it, but that seaking runs great now and prolly ran great its whole life, hey im no expert but for kickin a boat around they'll both do ok, but if you want to sell one I guarentee u you will get more $$ for taht Evinrude than the seaking... good luck to ya
ryan

dono16

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey also i didnt look up your years of your motors, and u didn t say but if theyer older 70's or so i would bet there 50:1 , i run my 70's on 50:1 and that s the ticket, have fun

Todd j

Seaman Apprentice

I did run identical posts in each forum, because I figured I would get a bias depending on which crowd replied. The Evinrude turns out to be a 56 model IIRC. The Seaking is still to me unknown. I am leaning toward the Evinrude now, only because it soes not require a rebuilt fuel pump, since it has none. On the other hand I would like to use the Chrysler too because it has a smaller profile and it fits nicer next to my 50 hp Merc. I suppose it will all come down to which is the cheaper when the time comes to refresh one or the other.

I dunno what I wanna do yet! Todd

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Model IIRC??? Where did you come up with that number? A 1956 Evinrude 7.5hp is Model 7512.

Todd j

Seaman Apprentice

IIRC

Common on all the forums. If I Recall Correctly.

Sorry for the confusion.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Just remember that most of us were pummeled by the nuns for using acronyms and spelling words like...byast, wich, etc. (which means etcetera). Hope Sister Bustmyknuckles ain't readin your posts...oh crap, I messed up!