Oil and Fuel on driveshaft

chadbenton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just pulled the lu off my 88 xr2 150 for annual maint. and found it covered with any oil film, which is smelly of fuel. It runs from the splines all the way down. All I can figure is lower crankcase seal. Am I corrrect?

rndn

Commander
Re: Oil and Fuel on driveshaft

If you have thru hub exhaust it may be normal. Unburnt gas and oil exit thru the area. How did the oil look when you drained it from the LU?

chadbenton

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The oil in the lu looked ok, it was a little milky though, but it always is, even if it has set for a while, it have even vaccum tested the lu, but it seems to hold. By the way, is'nt there suppose to be a ruuber exhaust gasket between the lower unit and the leg, there is'nt one on mine.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Chad, Those gaskets are around the exhaust tube, and stay in the LU. I do not think they seal too well when they are good. One that is missing should be replaced, but do not expect a miracle.

chadbenton

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Let me restate just to make sure we are on the same page. The oily film is mainly on the driveshaft, from the splined end that goes into the crank and then down. Not too much on the waterpump housing. The weird thing is the splines were the wettest, how can that be.

chadbenton

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I took a flashlight and looked up into the exhaust leg and can see the bottom of the crank, the spied area and it is the only part that seems to be wet with the same oily, fuel that was on the driveshaft. Could it be that the crank seal is slobbering a little, if so, should I leave it alone or pull the powerhead and replace them.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Chad, There is a brass recirculating fitting on the lower main bearing. It routes unburnt oil to the top main bearing, on an inline motor. You might check to see that the one way valve is clean and operating properly. You will need to trace the 3/32" rubber tube that runs down the starboard side of the engine to the fitting.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Chad, I see now that the motor is a V6. It will still have a recirculating hose on the crankcase. I would check it for proper operation.

boatmanjf

Cadet

just a quick and maybe dumb question,,,,,could this be shaft and spline lube from a reinstall...

chadbenton

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, I will look for the hose and check valve and verify its condition. As for the lube, it has been two years since I pulled the lower unit, I know I put something on the splines, but not sure what. It does have a fuely smell, but I did'nt fog the engine. The last time it ran was in my driveway, and I shut it down and covered it up. I guess it could have seaped past the seal, so for now I am not going to worry about it. Maybe after it warms up and I have ran it a few times. I will drop it again and check, it only takes a few minutes. Thanks for all the help...