tilt trim questions

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
1969-70 165hp 250cid L6 mercruiser> O/D # 2462278= 1969> I have two wires coming out of the transom plate below the steering shaft. I have 2 hyd. lines on each hyd. lift cyl. I have a three button trim tilt control and a little gauge with a little outdrive in it (to show the posistion of the outdrive) What i dont have and dont know if this system needs it cause it's not here, is a trim sender that i see in alot of photos that is mounted above the transom plate that two hyd lines coming from it and a wire or two.(see attached) Are the two wires comming from the outdrive to take the plase of the transom mounted trim sender OR?

Attachments

• 34d1_1.jpg
    34d1_1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: tilt trim questions

The item in your picture IS the sender. At least the LH portion of it is, the RH part is the hydraulic actuator that moves the sender.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

So what are the two wires coming out of the O/D ? Just a trim limit switch?

Don S

Probably. Should be a switch and lever on the Gimbal ring that the bell housing pushes.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Thanks for your quick reply Don. I guess i'm in search of a trim sender/actuater. GREAT (missing parts) Part of my basket case project.

Don S

Good luck, cause all those parts are NLA (No Longer Available) from Merc.
It's not a required part, if you trim it to high, the rpms will go up and the speed will go down.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

The reason i'm confused is when i look up like gimble bearing #s it says with or without gimble trim "sender"? So I'm suppose to have two trim senders? It doesn't say it's a trim limit switch.So is it a limit or a sender?:confused:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The reason i'm confused is when i look up like gimble bearing #s it says with or without gimble trim "sender"? So I'm suppose to have two trim senders? It doesn't say it's a trim limit switch.So is it a limit or a sender?:confused:

You have a transom housing 'without gimbal senders'. Your trim sender is that one you have a picture of, and your limit switch is in the top of the gimbal ring, above the bellhousing. The transom housings with have the trim sender and trim limit switch mounted on the hinge pins of the bellhousing.

Chris.................
Below is a picture of a gimbal ring with senders. This is the port side sender which is the limit switch. The other side has the trim indicator and looks exactly the same. (Except one has T.L and the other has T.S one it)

trimlimitswitch.jpg

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

OK so the wires coming out of the transom plate are the limit switch wires. Got it! So Yeah, I'm missing the sender and actuator. Thanks Chris, The search is on.:)

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

I found two senders one has one wire and one has two wires. i'm assuming the one with one wire doesn't have a ground wire so the housing gets grounded? Can i use the one wire sender? (it's cheaper) lol

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I found two senders one has one wire and one has two wires. i'm assuming the one with one wire doesn't have a ground wire so the housing gets grounded? Can i use the one wire sender? (it's cheaper) lol

Short answer : Yes... Just be careful that the one with 'one wire' is not just a two wire unit with one wire cut off. Check for continuity between the wire and the ground. You can unscrew the sender from the ram and use a screwdriver to push the sender plunger up and down, it's a spring return. Connect a multimeter and check that they are both working. Obviously one between the wire and the body of the sender and the other between the two wires. The reading should be around 0 ohms to about 240 ohms. Don S should be able to verfiy those resistances.

Chris............

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Thanks Chris, No broken wire on it. The owner says thats the way it is suppose to be.

Don S

The owner says thats the way it is suppose to be.

Just curious, how many owners actually know what "the way it is suppose to be" actually is.
I sure wouldn't assume that after talking to thousands of boat owners for years.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

I know Don your right, Most of the senders iv'e seen have two wires. So i asked him and he said it isn't broken off and the skematic shows the other wire is a ground sooooo.... I havent decided but i might just get the two wire one. Thanks for the reminder.