1997 Johnson 50 Hp

mstrud

Seaman
Hi, I'm the guy who bought the 86 evinrude 60hp with a dead top cylinder (no compression whatsoever), incase anyone remembers that godaweful thread. So i've decided rebuilding that motor isn't worth it. The lower unit and lower midsection housing is pitted and corroded so bad i cant justify anymore expense towards the motor, not to mention no trim and tilt anyhow. So i've recently found quite a deal on a 1997 johnson 50hp. Of course compression and spark tests are on the top of my roster, but is there anything i should be skeptical about other than that. Any other things to watch out for than compression, spark and lower unit? lemme know... I know you will; this forum is the best.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 Johnson 50 Hp

You basically covered it. Talking to the previous owner will also give you a sense of his/her maintainence attitude. That above all else I feel is the main thing, how well it was cared for.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1997 Johnson 50 Hp

If the engine is still on the boat see if you can take a test ride, that way you can check out the throttle response through out the range and also see how the lower unit is going to perform, lu gears can get expensive so if at all possible give it a test ride. Good luck,WAV.