Marine plywood?

linxlvr

Seaman
I understand that the more recently made PT plywoods can cause galvanic action problems. I was wondering if marine plywood also falls into that category? Also, when searching these forums I see standard plywood often recommended. How does that work out? Is that only when it is glassed in? The deck will be carpeted. I have done many searches and understand the pros and cons on the carpet, I am just a little dizzy on the deck itself.
TYIA

Re doing a deck on an aluminum 16' vee to give a reference to the whole question.
--
dw

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Marine plywood?

are you in a alum boat?

dont understand.

im doin the same thing..
im just to go out and buy pt ply for the whole shabang..trann/string/deck.

any hooo

the diff bet marine vs ac as i understand it. is simply the number of voids between the plys..this can be beat by getting good ac grade.

however...read plywood drying on this forum...the acc grade pt is recomended.

welcome to i boats
oops

linxlvr

Seaman

are you in a alum boat?

dont understand.
8><-------------
oops

Yes an aluminum vee, 16'. Looks like it was marine plywood. Looks like it was redone once already. Excess foam sprayed underneath pushed the deck all around as it expanded.
--
dw

Robj

Lieutenant

I believe the corrosion problems are more specific to ACQ treated ply. However if you look around you should still be able to find CCA treated, which is better and not a concern. Just look in lumber yards that are not more aimed at builders as opposed to Home Depot which is more towards homeowners. Just use SS fasteners.

Have a great day,

Rob.

pduquette

Ensign

Here in New England, cca is being phased out; acq only thing available.
Both react with old galvy brackets/fastners. Both are impregnated with nasty chemicals to keep them from rotting. specialy formulated galvy fasteners needed to keep bad reactions from occuring with brackets/acq wood too. Marine ply is made with water proof/resistant glue and dosen't have the surface chemicals to repel 'glass /glue/coatings etc. And A/c ply is not the same as Marine ply either BIG difference in cost . I'd spend the extra cash on your transom or sringers - for decking , a high quality a/c that's glassed on all sides should last ,in all but the worst treatment .