Hairline fiberglass cracks

jvwfd51

Cadet
Hello all, hopefully I can get some assistance from everyone here on something that has been bothering me since I inherited my boat. I have a 1974 Revelcraft 30' Cabin cruiser. What I have noticed is over most of the fiberglass above the water line, there are hairline cracks in the gelcoat. I have tryed to sand them down but have found that they end up all the way through the entire layer of gelcoat. What can I do to repair these. They are an eyesore to me. Can I reapply gelcoat over the top to get a smooth surface again? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• Hairline2.jpg
    Hairline2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hairline fiberglass cracks

You don't see mud type cracking like that very often. It's normally from poorly cured gel coat, either over or under catalyzed, there's a few other causes, but most relate to cure. It can also be from resin problems, but it's less common.

If you really want to get rid of it, you need to sand every bit of it off, right down to the glass. I know it's not what you wanted to hear and it won't be much fun, I hope it's only in a few spots and not the whole surface.