40hp Tohatsu alternator?

I dont think the alternator on my '97 40horse is working.... the main battery is fairly new (2 years) and is connected to the motor and my center console consisting of my horn, fish finder, and cd player on another power cord ( I know close to nothing about electronics). After maybe 20 cranks the battery is barely strong enough to crank to engine and if the engine is cold it wont even kick over all you get is a click, click, bzzzzz!

This has been going on for 3 months and I think I JUST figured out what happened. In september before a trip after charging up the batteries I put in the trolling battery and my bro in law set in the engine and cc battery... he put the + and - wires for the motor on the correct terminals but switched my cord for my cc which there is really no way of telling the + from - anyways. The depth finder wouldnt work it was ON but not working the cd player wouldnt work and hasnt worked since, did I fry it? Now like before I know squat about electrics and DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I switched em back later that day and the fish finder works...

IS THIS WHY MY ALTERNATOR GOT FRIED? HOW MUCH IS A NEW ONE? HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING JIMMY BUFFET BACK ON THE CD PLAYER AGAIN?

ALSO, Im embarassed to admit that it hasnt been cranked up in at least 2 months because the batteries were dead and Ive been to busy chasing animals around the woods to think about the boat... are the carbs to crap yet or is there still hope?

A BIG THANKS GOES OUT TO ANYONE THAT CAN HELP... THE PERCH ARE FIXING TO GET FIRED UP AND I NEED TO GET BACK OUT ON THE WATER.
Thanks,
SC

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 40hp Tohatsu alternator?

The charging system is protected by a fuse, but if it blew the starting system wouldn't work at all. Two year old batteries are probably the problem. Batteries only have a two to three year service life. Add aged wiring into the equation and you have an issue. You can pick up a cheap battery/alternator checker for around $20.00 and check the system.

Assume the carbs are crap.

Last edited: