Force 85HP 1988 problem

dayton2001

Cadet
Couple of questions, I bought a FORCE 85HP motor, iniatially engine would not start, but I removed the fuel from the tank added new fuel and it runs like a champ in the garage. While starting the engine I noticed the propeller was turning, should that happen? Second question, Hooked up flush kit and Im not getting any water out of the tail-tell holes. I figure it is the impeller from all I have read on this site and ordered a new one. I removed the back cover, the the exhaust boot I think(rubber booting connecting the back part of the engine to the cover throught the rubber boot)??? Looked inside the big hole(exaust I think), Is this where the water would come out if the impeller was working? and if so, is there some hoses that should be connected to the pee holes?? I dont see how exhaust and water could come out at the same time unless there were hoses connected to the pee holes. I have a manual for the motor but doesnt say where the water should exit or if there should be water lines connected through the rubber boot to the outside back cover. Sorry for the dumb questions but it is my first boat, trying to ensure i dont blow it up the first time out. Thanks for the help in advance. Derrick in San Diego.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 85HP 1988 problem

Because of oil drag on the gears, the prop will turn while in neutral and out of the water. There is really no load on it and it appears to be turning fast but this is normal.

Now! While on the cooling muffs, it usually takes a little while for water to start exiting the "Pee Holes". Garden hose and muffs usually can not supply the amount of water that the pump can deliver so it will preferentially exit the exhaust. Also, if someone has worked on the engine and used too much silicone RTV to seal the adapter plate, the water passage to the idle relief circuit may be partially or totally blocked. So: lack of water exiting the idle relief does not mean that the water pump is not functioning.

They are not really pee holes or a water indicator. They are idle relief holes and their purpose is to relieve back pressure when the engine is sitting low in the water. This gives a better idle and helps to possibly prevent stalling.

Most of the cooling water exits through the exhaust snout with the exhaust. If you hold you hand behind the exhaust and it does not get wet, then there is cause to worry.

If you were to disassemble an engine, you would see that there is an exhaust tube inside the midleg. The water passages are designed to dump most of the water inside the exhaust tube, cooling the exhaust, and only a smaller portion sprays inside the midleg between the exhaust tube and midleg casting. This cools the midleg against the small amount of exhaust gasses passing through it and out the idle relief. This is the water that sprays out the two idle relief holes. In the water --that is, on the lake or river, as engine speed increases and water flow increases, more water will exit these two holes; possibly in a steady stream.

The black rubber bellows is spring loaded and passes the water from the big hole in the midleg into the rear shroud and idle relief holes when the rear shroud is bolted on. Be sure the bevel in the bellows is fully seated in the casting when you put back the rear shroud. If it is not fully seated, with the hood on it will leak exhaust into the cowling and the engine will stall for lack of fresh air

1fullforce

Seaman

Dayton Let Me Know If You Need Parts For The Engine. I Have An 85 Force Outboard With A Bad Powerhead. (traileroman32@aol.com)

dayton2001

Cadet

Thanks for the help..............., I would like to get the plug whole in the thermostat housing out just to see the water spray out. I will try to feel if any moisture is coming out of the two small holes next time I start it. Will post again, probably a few times. This site is so helpful. I have never owned a boat before and this site has made it alot easier to understand how my motor works. THANKS ALOT.