1997 Force, Motor Problem

hoyt243

Recruit
I have a '97 Force ( 50HP )that hesitates or has a slight miss at full throttle and will quit missing when I let off the throttle. It will run about 5200 RPM at full throttle and drop a couple RPM during the miss. I am not sure how to check the coils, the plug has 4 pin connector that plugs into the coil and I ohmed out the coils and compared readings between the coils and it has the same readings. I have replaced the fuel line. Cleaned out the carburator. Not sure what else to check. How can I check the stator? I am not sure if it is a related problem, but I only had to charge my cranking battery every once in a while and now I have to charge every time I am taking the boat out. Any help would be apprecaited.....

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1997 Force, Motor Problem

Check your charging circuit according to your manual. Also it appears that that motor uses the same fuel pump as mid 90's Merc. There is a TSB out advising that the fuel pump be rebuilt with new check valves. Ethanol in today's gas cause the edges of the check valves to curl up. The replacement check valves are made of a different material.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

water in fuel
did you rebuild carb or just clean?

hoyt243

Recruit

I just took the carb apart and looked at it and it was clean. If water was in the fuel couldn't it have worked itself out by now this has been going on for about 3-4 years.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Unless you are religious about keeping your fuel tank absolutely filled, moisture will accumulate in your tank and slowly grow until the level gets high enough that the pick-up finally starts to pick up traces of the water.

Regular filter changes help.

A couple of questions about your full throttle problem(s).

Does the condition improve if you back off the throttle just a scoosh? (@1 & 1/2 red hairs)

If a passenger squeezes on the primer bulb, any change?

Post replys please.