Water Pump + General Sterndrive Question

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1989 23' Crown Line. Mercruiser 5.7l w/ Alpha 1 R sterndrive.

First question is how often should the water pump in the drive be replaced?
Second question is how much play or wander is acceptable the drive. I seem to have to continually work the wheel to keep the boat on track in slow no wakes and have a considerable walk in the outdrive if you push it side to side while trailered. Just wondering how concerned I should be as I dont have a ton of cash at the moment. - Thank you - Logan

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water Pump + General Sterndrive Question

Typically, the impellers for that model should be replaced every other year.

As far as your steering goes, if there was absolutely NO play, the boat would still wander back and forth. It's just the nature of a single engine IO with a Deep V type hull.
How much play? Well, that depends on where you measure it, and there is no mention in the Mercruser manual for your drive. There is some play in the gimbal ring, along with all the pins attaching the cable to the drive, also in the helm itself, depending on type. So it's really almost impossible to answer your question accurately.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If there is 'play' between the drive and the steering arm, you have a problem. After that, as Don mentioned, pins and pivots all add up.

To check for drive/steering arm movement, you'll need another person, or some very tricky mirrors. Get the other person to watch the steering arm. To find it you need to look beyond the back of the engine. There will be an arm sticking out. Directly under the steering arm is the water hose for the cooling water. Have your assistant watch the arm while you gently move the drive. When the arm starts to move, have him/her say so. Move the drive the other way and have him/her tell you when it starts to move again. All but the slightest play between the arm and the drive it unacceptable.

Chris............

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for your quick response guys. I'm glad to hear the impeller is every other year. Just did mine last spring and didnt have any problems with it so I wasn't gonna exactly be thrilled to tear the drive apart again this spring. I will also check my steering arm as you advised as soon as we get a warmer day here in WI. Thanks again - Logan

TilliamWe

Banned

A possible quick way to tell if you outdrive play is really bad it to lift up on the drive when you have it tilted up and on the trailer. If it is loose up in the gimbal area, you'll feel and see it from outside the boat, and it's a bad thing.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

A possible quick way to tell if you outdrive play is really bad it to lift up on the drive when you have it tilted up and on the trailer. If it is loose up in the gimbal area, you'll feel and see it from outside the boat, and it's a bad thing.

This only checks the gimbal ring vertical shafts, not the steering.

Chris.....

TilliamWe

Banned

I know that Chris, but if his drive is worn badly, that'll be worn out, so no real need to check all the rest, just know it's gonna need the whole Shebang.