Tohatsu 40D Boysen Reeds

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 40D Boysen Reeds

A 40 D is a 40D so they should fit. I've found that their reeds do give a better midrange response. Top end might be a hair better...No difference on hole shot on the one we tried it on. The engine idle got a little rougher though.

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool Thanks for the info.....Maybe i'll give it a try...Not sure if i can handle my idle being any rougher tho....I think i'll have to wait to install em when I rebuild my carbs.....

Is there any other bolt-on items I can get for this outboard that don't cost a lot of $$ and help out a little bit??...

I'm working on getting smart tabs for my boat next and a new prop.....Ran out of things to wrench on or customize so now i'm looking for things to buy for it......

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"Is there any other bolt-on items I can get for this outboard that don't cost a lot of $$ and help out a little bit??..."

Nope.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Cool Thanks for the info.....Maybe i'll give it a try...Not sure if i can handle my idle being any rougher tho....I think i'll have to wait to install em when I rebuild my carbs.....

Is there any other bolt-on items I can get for this outboard that don't cost a lot of $$ and help out a little bit??...

I'm working on getting smart tabs for my boat next and a new prop.....Ran out of things to wrench on or customize so now i'm looking for things to buy for it......

You can fine tune the setup.Raise it a little at a time until just before venting becomes a problem play with trim if one notch is not enough but 2 is too much buy or make wedges to give you half a notch.After you get the ideal setup you may get even more height with a better prop.If you can gain an inch in height you could get a couple of mph.Be sure it pumps water and the clamps have a good grip.

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can fine tune the setup.Raise it a little at a time until just before venting becomes a problem play with trim if one notch is not enough but 2 is too much buy or make wedges to give you half a notch.After you get the ideal setup you may get even more height with a better prop.If you can gain an inch in height you could get a couple of mph.Be sure it pumps water and the clamps have a good grip.

Thanks for the reply steelspike.....I'm at the highest hole I can go with the outboard right now....If I go 1/4 inch higher it will cavitate...I would like to get a new prop for it but I can't find a place to lend or rent me one to find out what works best and I don't have the $$ to pay $125 without knowing if it will work right or not.....

This hull amazes me.....It runs the same speed and rpm with just me in it or 4 people/gear and a full livewell......

Dosen't seem possible but thats whats happening.....

walleyehed

Admiral

Back to the Boyesen Reeds..If the Idle gets rougher, the jetting on the idle circut is incorrect. One of the biggest advantages of these reeds is the ability to slow the Idle, due to better flow, but as stated in the directions, the idle circut must be enriched for proper operation. The hole-shot should improve as well, and some claim a slight top-end increase although we've found in most cases this to be true only where stock reeds would begin to float, which is "usually" around 750-1000rpm higher than max recommended.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the reply steelspike.....I'm at the highest hole I can go with the outboard right now....If I go 1/4 inch higher it will cavitate...I would like to get a new prop for it but I can't find a place to lend or rent me one to find out what works best and I don't have the $$ to pay $125 without knowing if it will work right or not.....

This hull amazes me.....It runs the same speed and rpm with just me in it or 4 people/gear and a full livewell......

Dosen't seem possible but thats whats happening.....

I'm sure a dealer would want some sort of commitment to buy from you.
Some sort of non refundable deposit that would be applied to a purchase.
I sure wouldn't be buying a prop on a guess either.If you could find a prop shop might be more cooperative.You might ask around at the launch ramp.

imported_Warren

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sure a dealer would want some sort of commitment to buy from you.
Some sort of non refundable deposit that would be applied to a purchase.
I sure wouldn't be buying a prop on a guess either.If you could find a prop shop might be more cooperative.You might ask around at the launch ramp.

Yea....I have a really great prop guy by my house AAA Propeller that will let you take 4 or 5 props on a handshake and try them out....If you find one you like you buy it.....Unfortunately he only has one prop for my outboard and its the same one I have......Bummer.......

Just bought the smart tabs for my boat...There on the way....Hopefully it will make a difference.....