Trim tabs questions

cddetelich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am considering trim tabs for a 20' Hydrosport DC with a Johnson 175. I have a few questions...
1. It seems Smart tabs are the accepted standard-anybody have any experience with any other brand?
2. I see two different possiblilties-either the stainless or the less expensive plastic. The advertising touts the benefits of plastic- no fouling, and they have little "skegs" to help tracking. Am I missing something? If they are so much better and cheaper, why would anyone ever buy the stainless models?
Thanks for the info.
Charlie

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Trim tabs questions

to have the bling of the stainless hanging on their transom. why do people buy a Lincoln, instead of a Crown Victoria.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

When I bought mine stainless was the only version available. And yes, they do look nice and probably less susceptable to damage.

tommays

Admiral

Well the price of SS is changeing so fast right NOW it is hard to sell a product made out it and keep a steady price

And plastic done correctly will stop all the probelms SS causes in saltwater

Tommays

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Am I missing something? If they are so much better and cheaper, why would anyone ever buy the stainless models?
Charlie

Step right up folks and feast your eyes upon the latest and greatest inovation in prop technology in the past 100 years.

Absolutly best prop you'll ever own. Backed up by years of research and a lifetime limited warrenty with lots of small print......... introducing the all new CheapCraft Chrome Plated Plastic Prop.

These, low cost, high performance plastic props have all the strength and durability of their stainless counterparts but are cheaper and eliminate fouling.

Why would you want to own anything else? :D

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Charlie, Plastic trim tabs will not be antifouling. Look at any plastic bulkhead, the barnacles love 'em. The tabs take a good beating(especially when you scrape and sand the barnacles off them), I therefore think SS is the only way to go.

Smart-tabs are not as good a the power-adjusted ones IMO (Bennett is one maker), but are much cheaper. I have a 21' DC Seaswirl with a 150 Johnny, which is similar to your boat. The light weight of the engine (400#) makes the boat fast to plane and makes the need for tabs less. The only time I think they would be useful is in the ocean on a choppy day. If you put the tabs all the way down (power adjustable tabs), you can back off on the speed and still stay on plane. This gives a better ride. Of course if you stay out of the ocean on a choppy day (A good idea BTW), the need for tabs is minimal, at least on my boat.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

1. It seems Smart tabs are the accepted standard-anybody have any experience with any other brand?

I would disagree with that statement. Bennet trim tabs are more the accepted standard.

Depends on what you want/need. For example, if you need to adjust your trim tabs from the helm, the smart tabs are not the way to go.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I all you want to do is get on plane faster and at a little lower speed then buy the smart tabs. I would still go Stainless Steel if you are going to keep the boat over 10 years. I been around a while and seen many iteams that went to plastic. Yes they look great when new but after a few years become brittle and a small bump and they crack. Stainless Steel will hold up past three sets of plastic.

If you want to control your boat's ride at all speeds and sea conditions then get a set of helm adjustable trim tabs. I put the BENNETT helm adjustable tabs on my boat back in 1981 and it totally changed the ride of my boat. I will never have a boat without them. I can adjust my boat for the best dry ride on any day and any weather and sea condition, even a big following sea where you want no trim at all because it is unsafe. You get what you pay for.

watermellonI

Petty Officer 1st Class

cd
My line of thinkin with the tabs was mostly I m lazy and dont want to mess with a pump and adjustments when underway, I wanted something I could put on that would help me get on plane and not worry with the additional weight or maintenance, so I chose Smart Tabs ( sorry don t mean to sound like a commercial) Unfortunatly I found my tansom was bad when I put them on so I ve had to do some major work. Oh and one other thing they were a lot less expensive.

(I run an econimical democratic dictatorship round my place)