Hmmm? Years/starters?

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
I have a GM 1968 250ci L6 And it takes the starter with the two bolts that screw into the block from the bottom up"vertical". Marine starters bolt in that way too. Now, I have a 1969 292ci L6 and it has the auto starter that has three bolts that bolt through the starter flange into the block from the front "horizontal" I guess my question is, Do they sell a marine starter with the three bolt style? Or can the nose be changed to the vertical two bolt style?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Hmmm? Years/starters?

Why not take the starter off the 250 and put it on the 292?

See, easy....:D

Chris............

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

well i'm bringing the motor home in the morning. I'm not sure that the 292 has the vertical holes in the block for the two bolt type. I guess i assumed it didn't because it has a three bolt on it. Maybe it does I'll let ya know tomorrow I pray it does. I would think so hmmm?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

most the 292 stuff was for a truck. most the truck stuff the starter actually bolted into the bell housing not the block. the 2 holes should still be in the block though.
I would look before getting to worried.
there were 2 patterns though with several tooth pitch and numbers on the starter drive.
thats what ya have to watch out for.
over the years GM made several dia changes to the flywheel as well as several ring gear tooth counts and tooth pitches.
the starter drive and mounting has to be compatable with the flywheel or early failure results.
the 292 we used to race took the standard offset verticl mount.
however that block was also made for heavy truck and industrial so not all were the same.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Yep brought the motor home today 292 1969 it has the same as my 250 vertical inline one short bolt one long bolt. should work ok thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if correctly assembled the 292 can make an easy 250 HP.
wont strain it at all :). make sure your block has the tab on the stbd side front for the merc front mount or you will be making side mounts like the SBC uses.
not difficult just a pain.

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Yes it has the mount on it, unlike my 250 i need to fabricate one for. With a 4 brl carb i'm told it's 200 hp. Is that correct? Also ahhh ? "not sure if i should use a new thread?" But while wer're talking 292 the oil pan is deep calls for 6qt. can i use a 250 oil pan and get away with 5qt. or? the motor is tall enough without the extra depth of the oil pan.