Tell tale heres the pics

gustafsonerik

Petty Officer 1st Class
87 force 85hp i'm not familiar with these engines.. I replaced the water pump and started it up in a tank.. its not really a steady stream coming out of the hole its more like a spray?? is this correct??? i started it on a cold engine if that would make a difference?? also in the one pic is that where the thermostat is??? thanks Erik

Picture056-2.jpg

Picture055-1.jpg

Picture057-1.jpg

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tell tale heres the pics

You did good, that's how it should look like, if you want a real tell-tail, there is a small plug ( I want to say it's a 1/4" pipe thread ) at the thermostat cover, change it to a hose fitting & run the hose to a point on the lower crowling, drill a hole throuth it and run the hose to the outside, for the **** line.
I had a Bayliner like yours and had a good time fixing it up, that boat is a good runner

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tell tale heres the pics

The two holes you see are idle relief vents. their primary purpose is to reduce back pressure when the engine is sitting low in the water like at idle or dead slow. This gives a more reliable idle and helps prevent stalling--maybe.

These vents only pass a portion of the cooling water. The bulk of it exits with the exhaust at the snout. If you hold your hand behind the snout while running, it should get very wet very quickly.

With most outboards, a garden hose can not supply the amount of water the water pump can deliver. If you look at the vents while running on the water, you should see a bit more coming out of them.

You are pointing at the thermostat cover. You should at least remove the two lower screws and coat them with anti-seize as they enter the water passage in the head and tend to corrode in. They can be difficult to remove so I tend to use an impact screwdriver and I like to replace them with Allen Head cap screws. Depending on the head type, the thermostat may be held in place by an internal spring pushing it against a rubber gasket, or it may just have a rubber gasket around the flange and held in place by the cover. If the cover has never been removed, the gasket will be destroyed when you remove it. You do not need to buy one; it is real simple and you can make one yourself from regular gasket paper sold in auto stores. A child's notebook hole punch pliers is excellent for punching the 1/4 inch bolt holes.