Fuel injection?

pgpg5860

Seaman Apprentice
I'm doing some planning for the installation of an auxillary fuel tank on my 2005 Bayliner 242 with a 5.7L mercruiser and can't find any of my paperwork showing if it has electronic fuel injection or not. The boat is over 4 hours away in storage so just climbing in and looking isn't an option. Can anyone out there help me with this?
thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Fuel injection?

I'm doing some planning for the installation of an auxillary fuel tank on my 2005 Bayliner 242 with a 5.7L mercruiser and can't find any of my paperwork showing if it has electronic fuel injection or not. The boat is over 4 hours away in storage so just climbing in and looking isn't an option. Can anyone out there help me with this?
thanks

Does your paperwork show the engine serial number? If it does, post that here and someone may be able to check.

Chris..............

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

If when you start it...

You turn the key and it starts without more than running the blower first it's fuel injected.

If you have to fiddle with the throttle lever and pump it first it's either carburated or fuel injected and you don't need to do that.

achris

If when you start it...

You turn the key and it starts without more than running the blower first it's fuel injected.

If you have to fiddle with the throttle lever and pump it first it's either carburated or fuel injected and you don't need to do that.

The new 'turn-key' carb engines start the same way as the injecteds.

Why not call the person at the storage and ask them to take a look....

Chris.....

Bondo

Staff member

I'm doing some planning for the installation of an auxillary fuel tank on my 2005 Bayliner 242 with a 5.7L mercruiser and can't find any of my paperwork showing if it has electronic fuel injection or not.

Ayuh,......... Just Curious.......

What does the Fuel Tank care as to whether it's Carbed, or EFI,..??..??........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since the only gas engines used by Bayliner are Mercruiser, it makes no difference on the tanks. There is a line from the tank to the engine, on both EFI and Carbed. There are NO return lines to the tank if that is what you are thinking. That's an automotive thing.

newport dave

Chief Petty Officer

I think Bondo is right (Ayuh), neither the carbed or EFI Mercruiser engines have a fuel return to the tank, so it shouldn't matter which one you have. But in 2005 they called the EFI engines 350MAG's and the carbed engines 5.7's, so I bet you have a carbed engine.

Dave

achris

I think Bondo is right (Ayuh), neither the carbed or EFI Mercruiser engines have a fuel return to the tank, so it shouldn't matter which one you have. But in 2005 they called the EFI engines 350MAG's and the carbed engines 5.7's, so I bet you have a carbed engine.

Dave

Bilgeliner and the cheaper engine option.... that sounds about right.... Whadda you think Bond-o?????

Chris..........

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

what ever you do, be sure to use 3/8" selection valves and not 1/4"

pgpg5860

Seaman Apprentice

From the sounds of it it's probably a carb model as it doesn't say 350 Mag on the sales slip, but the serial number is OW326758. I want to set it up so the new aux tank fills from the main tank when full and drains into the main when it drops down. If the fuel pump is inside the tank it'll make it a lot harder to do. I'm finding it a real pain carrying Jerrycans, the closest fuel from where I fish is over 60 miles round trip, that cuts into the fishing time pretty good.

TilliamWe

Banned

Even if it's fuel injected, the fuel pump is NOT in the tank. Again, that's an automotive thing.

Don S

From the sounds of it, you are about to build yourself a serious problem.
On marine fuel tanks, you CAN NOT have any opening in the sides or bottom. They must all come from the top of the tank. There are also specific rules on materials and testing, hoses, fittings etc. This is not a car and there are CG regs you need to follow.
Here is the CG regs http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/33cfr183_03.html
Start on section 183.507 thru 183.590 and study on what is allowed and not allowed for your type and size of boat.

pgpg5860

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info Gentlemen, it looks like a simple idea becomes a less than simple solution. Any ideas on how I can carry more fuel without havint a dozen or so jerry cans on board, these are not only always in the way but also a safety hazard.

Don S

You can install other tanks, they just have to be hooked up to a valved manifold so you can select the tank you want to run off of. There will be a seperate fill, vent, pickup and gauge for each tank.
You just can't use 3 tanks and hook them all together.

Your best bet would be to post a question over in the Boat Building and Restoration forum on how to install additional fuel tanks in a boat.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,........

Ain't nothing Wrong with what you want to do,........

Just the Way you're wanting to Do it........

You can have as Many Different Tanks as you want,.......
As long as they're All Separate, until they meet at the Valved Manifold.......

pgpg5860

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, I'll post in the other forum and hopefully I can get some help there

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep
kinda reminds me of a (buddy) .
he added 2 40 gallon deck mounted gunwale tanks. problem was the main 60 gallon belly tank vented aft about the deck line. no valving and the first homade tanks had fuel outlets on the bottom pointing aft.
first fillup spilled about 60 gallons out of the main tank vent.
second attempt moved the fuel draw tubes to the top of the tanks,still no anti siphon or manifold valves.
second attempt almost worked,filled the tanks and all was well, next moring he had about 40 gallons of fuel under the house.
seems now the liquid level was much higher than the lowest carb on the outboard and with the engine full up the bottom carb drained both deck tanks to the level of the carb.
that is why the USCG and the ABYC all have very specific installation and materiel designs on gasoline fuel tanks.
seems common sense just aint enough :).