does water still flow when telltale is frozen?

mattdd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i went out the other day to duck hunt. in the evening, on the way back in the telltale wasn?t putting out any water. I stopped, and felt around the cyl head and block and it felt cool, so I kept going keeping an eye on it. It never got hot so I figured that even tho the telltale was frozen, water was still flowing??is that correct?

1986 90hp Yamaha

rick_l

Seaman
Re: does water still flow when telltale is frozen?

I believe that the water would still flow if the telltale line was fronzen. My concern would be not knowing weather my water pump was working or not. You should be able to remove the line at the engine to see if water is still coming out.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it does still flow. Take the cover off and remove the hose from the plastic outlet where the water comes out. You will probably find debris in there. Clean it out and reattach the hose and see if it flows.

D

DJ

Yes, it flows. The telltale is just that, a telltale. Not any different than a temp. guage in your car. Just an indicator.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on the 90 yamaha sometimes we add a bit of hose to make a bigger loop so water doesnt become trapped in the hose. on the big V6 motors with a water cooled regulator its IMPERATIVE that the tell tale works.