drive really stuck

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
omc cobra drive 1995. got all the bolts removed and this isn't the kind that has the shift cable so there is nothing else holding it. i'm not going to mention what we did to try to get it off but it just won't come off past an inch. looking up in the boat you can see that the rubber from the drive coupler is pulling out. how can the splines have gotten stuck together so bad, it definatly is not because of corrosion as it was grease and was not on there for long enough to cause such a strong amount of corrosion. any ideas on why that would have gotten so stuck. i'm going to have to cut the shaft through the bellows and remove engine to take out the coupler and the rest of the shaft.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: drive really stuck

Why not say what you have tried to get it off. It may be that the shaft is in a bind from the engine not being aligned.It has to come off.Ruining the coupler and cutting the drive shaft sounds very extreme and more expensive to replace than its worth.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Not sure what you mean about the shift cable,but you DO have to disconnect it on 1994 and up Cobra's before removing the drive.

DHP

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Not sure what you mean about the shift cable,but you DO have to disconnect it on 1994 and up Cobra's before removing the drive.

DHP

I agree with DHP. Have you taken the back cover off the drive to disconnect the cable?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Even if the cable was still hooked up, the drive would come off farther than 1", and the coupler wouldn't be stretched because the cable was hooked up.

When was the last time the drive was off? Was the alignment ok then?

I just went through this with my Alpha drive.

It came back about an inch and was really stuck there. I ended up using a 2x4" piece of wood and wedging it between the gimbal ring and the top of the drive and "bumping" the tilt up. (thanks to advice here)

I was shocked at how stuck it was, and still don't know why. I'm leaning towards the drive shaft being stuck in the gimbal bearing. I ordered an alignment bar, so I don't know for sure yet, but visually it looks like it would come straight out.

I was surprised as to how much pressure it took to get the drive off.

Hopefully that helps. Good luck.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i had this happen with my alpha 260 and i used the trim rams and a 2x4 would that work here... i saw a guy chain his to his truck and pull it ... but he had to buy a new coupler and get his skeg fixed ...hahaha

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

to attempt to get it off we used a tree and a one ton chain hoist. once we got a lot of pressure on it you could go in the boat and see the rubber from the drive coupler pulling out in that small space between the bell housing and the inside of the transom assy. after releasing the pressure the drive goes right back in to where it was originally like it springs back. There is definatly no shift cable on this one as we removed that plastic cover to check. i guess the next step would be to attempt to lift just the back of the engine to see if it is miss aligned. I don't remember too much trouble putting the drive on at all. As far as how long it has been on there i think it was since april or may.

TilliamWe

Banned

Loosen the top nuts on the front motor mounts and use a pry bar and lift the front of the engine, it'll be easier than messing with the rear of the engine. But be aware, small movement will make large changes in the alignment.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

have you tried using the trim rams to push it off?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is definatly no shift cable on this one as we removed that plastic cover to check.

While the cable isn't causing your problem (YET) there is a cable under that plastic cover. It's an OMC Cobra SX style drive.

You have to remove items 1,2,and 3 to remove the drive.

Volvocabledisconnect.png

PS: I asked this earlier, and you must have missed it, cause you didn't reply.

When was the last time the drive was off? Was the alignment ok then?

jdshort98

Cadet

As far as the cable issue goes, it does not matter YET if the coupler is coming apart. However, if he truely does not have a cable behind the plastic cover, he probably has the year model wrong. He most likely has the original OMC Cobra, with the "Chicken Lips" shift engagement system.

DHPMARINE

Captain

We can only try and fix what model/year is posted,as in I can only sell parts for the boat you say you have.

DHP

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sorry yes it has the shift cable but no it wasn't connected, we disconected that and the six bolts before we tried anything.
As far as how long the drive was on it was put on in april or may of 07 and i don't remember having any problems putting it on so i don't think the alignment was out.
We had a lot of pressure on this thing with that one ton jack so i don't think the trim cylinders would have done any better. Engine alignment seems to be the way to go but i just can't see the drive being stuck like this due to alignment or corrosion with the amount of pressure we had on it. But trying to adjust the engine is a good place to start.