15Hp to 25Hp

RichNewby

Cadet
Hi, i am looking at getting a new boat. Most likly a Zodiac futura Mk2c with a 40hp on the back. My question is what will the performance difference be between this and a Zodiac classic, with a 35hp on the bak. Obviously 5hp difference in engine size but what about speed and performance, would there be a very noticable difference or not really? I am probably going to be wakeboarding with this boat, aswell a kneeboarding and a few other watersports. Would the classic furfill requirements? Oh and finally what is the bast point to attach my rope to on an inflateable for waersports? I have a small 3m zodiac with a 15hp mercury at the moment and for kneeboaring i am attaching it to two holes on the transom which i can only guess is for the launching wheels? However there is wierd shaped connector thingys at the bottom of the transom aswell, so im not sure.

And finally IS 40hp really the biggest engine size you can put on a futura mk2c? Would it damage the boat if i put say a 50hp on? What about engine weights aswell? Should i strictly stay inside them or is a few Kg not really a problem?

Cheers
Rich

EDIT: Sorry about the totaly different tital to the topic, i had intentions to ask a different question the gave up and now i carnt change the title.

Last edited:

CRRC418

Cadet
Re: 15Hp to 25Hp

Rich,

I have the Mk3 with a 50 on the back and it is plenty of power for what you want to do. After 6 years of use the transom just gave away. Which got me thinking about weight of the motor. I don't even have it maxed out and mine gave way, way too early in my mind. Something to consider on what engine you put back there.

Also, the classic is rated for 35 or 40 depending on the model/length you choose. But keep in mind there is a 45 lbs difference in the boats of equal lenght. Also a key difference is handling. The Futura has the "Futura hull" or speed tubes which will make the baot plane faster and under less power, and will make the thing turn on a dime. I know, I have sent 2 people overboard who were not paying attention. The classic has a hull with only a bow tube.

As for the rope, I have been playing with different setups for a while and I found the best one without affecting performance is as follows:
A rope connected to the back of the grab rope by d rings with enough slack to allow full range of motion to the motor but no excess.
A float in the middle to keep it out of the props way. Tow line connected with a d ring to this loop.

What this does is allow the tow rope to "float" from side to side depending on where the tube is, and keeps the "attachment" loop out of the way of the motor while allowing freedom of movement. Kind of hard to discribe, so if it sounds weird let me know and I will try and get a picture.

D_Wilson

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 15Hp to 25Hp

I put two d rings pretty high on the transon on either side of the motor out near the tubes. I bought a tow harness at Canadian tire for $13 that has a connector at each and and allows the tow rope to move freely via a pulley side to side as needed. It works great.