"So where did the nice guys go" from Best of Craigslist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenneth Brown

Captain
This is hilarious. I've removed all of the profanity I think. If I didn't hopefully a member of the mods can clean it up for me.

"What Happened to All the Nice Guys?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2007-11-19, 3:52AM PST

I see this question posted with some regularity in the personals section, so I thought I'd take a minute to explain things to the ladies out there that haven't figured it out.

What happened to all the nice guys?

The answer is simple: you did.

See, if you think back, really hard, you might vaguely remember a Platonic guy pal who always seemed to want to spend time with you. He'd tag along with you when you went shopping, stop by your place for a movie when you were lonely but didn't feel like going out, or even sit there and hold you while you sobbed and told him about how horribly the (other) guy that you were f*****g treated you.

At the time, you probably joked with your girlfriends about how he was a little puppy dog, always following you around, trying to do things to get you to pay attention to him. They probably teased you because they thought he had a crush on you. Given that his behavior was, admittedly, a little pathetic, you vehemently denied having any romantic feelings for him, and buttressed your position by claiming that you were "just friends." Besides, he totally wasn't your type. I mean, he was a little too short, or too bald, or too fat, or too poor, or didn't know how to dress himself, or basically be or do any of the things that your tall, good-looking, fit, rich, stylish boyfriend at the time pulled off with such ease.

Eventually, your Platonic buddy drifted away, as your relationship with the boyfriend got more serious and spending time with this other guy was, admittedly, a little weird, if you werent dating him. More time passed, and the boyfriend eventually cheated on you, or became boring, or you realized that the things that attracted you to him weren't the kinds of things that make for a good, long-term relationship. So, now, you're single again, and after having tried the bar scene for several months having only encountered players and douche bags, you wonder, "What happened to all the nice guys?"

Well, once again, you did.

You ignored the nice guy. You used him for emotional intimacy without reciprocating, in kind, with physical intimacy. You laughed at his consideration and resented his devotion. You valued the aloof boyfriend more than the attentive "just-a-" friend. Eventually, he took the hint and moved on with his life. He probably came to realize, one day, that women aren't really attracted to guys who hold doors open; or make dinners just because; or buy you a Christmas gift that you mentioned, in passing, that you really wanted five months ago; or listen when you're upset; or hold you when you cry. He came to realize that, if he wanted a woman like you, he'd have to act more like the boyfriend that you had. He probably cleaned up his look, started making some money, and generally acted like more of an a**hole than he ever wanted to be.

Fact is, now, he's probably getting l**d, and in a way, your ultimate rejection of him is to thank for that. And I'm sorry that it took the complete absence of "nice guys" in your life for you to realize that you missed them and wanted them. Most women will only have a handful of nice guys stumble into their lives, if that.

So, if you're looking for a nice guy, here's what you do:

1.) Build a time machine.
2.) Go back a few years and pull your head out of your a**.
3.) Take a look at what's right in front of you and grab ahold of it.

I suppose the other possibility is that you STILL don't really want a nice guy, but you feel the social pressure to at least appear to have matured beyond your infantile taste in men. In which case, you might be in luck, because the nice guy you claim to want has, in reality, shed his nice guy mantle and is out there looking to unleash his cynicism and resentment onto someone just like you.

If you were five years younger.

So, please: either stop misrepresenting what you want, or own up to the fact that you've (bleep) yourself over. You're getting older, after all. It's time to excise the bull and deal with reality. You didn't want a nice guy then, and he certainly doesn't want you, now.

Sincerely,

A Recovering Nice Guy

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 483318927

Last edited by a moderator:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: "So where did the nice guys go" from Best of Craigslist

Oh, ain't that the truth!!!!

The hours I've spent..... you get the gist.

Chris.......
(I got luck and found a girl looking for a genuine nice guy, before I got too cynical)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sooooo sadly true. :(

More than once I have been told what a nice guy I was as a way of brushing me off, yet I have seen women ruin their lives over a five star jerk.

Power is the aphrodesiac that turns most women on. Power, challenge and danger. The only times I was pursued by women was when I was in a position of power or celebrity. . . and treated them like accessories.

Well, there has been one exception. One.

magster65

Commander

Sooooo sadly true. :(

More than once I have been told what a nice guy I was as a way of brushing me off, yet I have seen women ruin their lives over a five star jerk.

Power is the aphrodesiac that turns most women on. Power, challenge and danger. The only times I was pursued by women was when I was in a position of power or celebrity. . . and treated them like accessories.

Well, there has been one exception. One.

Elizabeth.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I wonder if that would get a response on my profile in a dating website that I am a member of lol. I'm to the point that I am ready to post something like that on this one dating website. I guess I am just to nice to get a girl. I really don't know anymore, SAD BUT TRUE, GREAT IF IT AIN'T I say.
The last girl that I dated (SIX YEARS AGO) tried to turn me into what she really wanted.......a different cultured bad boy, which there was no way I could do that, she left me and she actually found one :D. What a so and so she is. I don't know who to curse, her or myself for staying with her for as long as I did.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Where did all the nice guys go? We went fishing! :D

JB

Quoth magster65: Elizabeth.

Bullseye! :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I've decided that this tendency in women is additional proof that "we are who we were 30,000 years ago." Back in the cave, the nice guys couldn't protect the ladies from the biggest baddest a_ _hole, and the nicest guy may have not been the most efficient hunter. So the only way for the women to survive was to have the a_ _ hole to protect them from any other a_ _ holes and to insure lots of vittles for the future generation of a_ _ holes she was manufacturing . . .

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmmm....
This theory does not fit well with "intellegent design"......;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Who said I connect it to, or buy, or prescribe to Intelligent Design? If you would like me to find a way to connect it I guess I could, but this sounds a lot like Social controversy . . .

Evolution was created . . . next issue?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Just out for my morning troll.....;)
Actually your theory is plausible, imho.....:)

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ya just have to have the ability to be both.:D:D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Ya just have to have the ability to be both.:D:D

And then get slammed with "You're not the man I met".

Just admit it guys... When it comes to women... We're screwed!!!

Chris........

puddle jumper

Captain

jees i wonder how many movies have been made on this subject.:p

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

Jeeeez now I really am screwed LOL

I just met someone really nice who's been screwd over by an X or two. She says she has a tendency for picking the A hole and wants to take things slow as to find out if I will turn out to be another one....

Im the nice guy that is described in that damn artical and Im starting to think it may be time now to start to turn on the "****" side of me. Not to say STOP entirly being nice to her but also play the "****"...I want her to like me and far too many times Ive lost somone I really liked to the A hole guy because Ive been too damn nice....Hell one chick I was with I intentionally treaded liek crap so she would leave me cause I was too nice to tell her I didnt want to be with her any more and it onyl made the situation a lot worse...The girl proceded to tell me she had feelings for me...I was like you got to be kidding!

So this little hottie I just met has the looks, body and everything else I could ask for in my dream girl right....I just dont know how nice I should be....LOL.......

My plan is the same as its been, Im just who I am and if she dont like it oh well, I get screwed again I guess. I just dont beleive in acting like a piece of S"" just to keep this woman attractred to me.

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And then get slammed with "You're not the man I met".

Not when you do both at the first meeting.

And if they don't like it, don't worry there's plenty out there.

Most important though is just be yourself, you'll find one.

Last edited:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Man I am sooooo glad I aint single no more.

Nice guys finish last. End of story.

Ken

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class

So this little hottie I just met has the looks, body and everything else I could ask for in my dream girl right....I just dont know how nice I should be....LOL.......

If ya like her BAY ya gonna hafta NOT ACT LIKE IT tell her you will call and then forget, had things to do with your buds ECT..... A few of these and shes wonderin whats wrong with me why doesent he like me. Not be a **** just make her work. Don't be a dog beggin for the bone. I had to dump my wife for my X GF for 6 mo, to get her to come around. Well I guess being a ****?

tashasdaddy

set the guidelines first. Hi, i'm TD, i'm #1, kids and dog #2, boats #3, you fall in somewher, after that. got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.