Oil and Hydraulic fluid questions....

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll try to keep the questions simple....

1. Can power steering fluid be used in the hydraulics steering or do I need a hydraulic fluid...also, what brand.

2. Could my trim motor be running low on fluid. It is sluggish going up and down. How do I add fluid?

3. How difficult is it to change lower unit fluid. Is there a topic on this forum that explains in detail?

Thanks for your help...

sunpacman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Oil and Hydraulic fluid questions....

Hmmm, does anyone know the answer to these questions or has something changed on this forum?

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

You didn't give us much info to work with, like make, model, year, or what type of hydraulic unit you have. so I'll give it a try.

power steering fluid in your hydraulics? The manufacturer of your product can answer the questions alot better. My answer would be it depends on thier reccommendations. And of course, they will say to use thier brand product.

trim fluid low. generally you fill the fluid while the outboard is tilted up. on one side is the tilt motor (usually right side) on the other is the reservior. The one with the screw (with a large head) on it. fill to the screw level.

changing lower unit, usually there are two screws one on the lower part of bullet of the l/u the other near the ventelation plate. fill into the bottom hole until it comes out the top

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why would you even think of using power steering fluid? All power steering fluids are not the same. There are many different types. Some cars use automatic transmission fluid in the power steering system. First of all, you need to post the make, model and year of your outboard. Second you need to look in the owner's manual and use exactly the fluid they tell you to use. It doesn't make sense to save a few cents on fluid and ruin the seals or contaminate the system.

BigNiner19

Petty Officer 1st Class

You didn't give us much info to work with, like make, model, year, or what type of hydraulic unit you have. so I'll give it a try.

power steering fluid in your hydraulics? The manufacturer of your product can answer the questions alot better. My answer would be it depends on thier reccommendations. And of course, they will say to use thier brand product.

trim fluid low. generally you fill the fluid while the outboard is tilted up. on one side is the tilt motor (usually right side) on the other is the reservior. The one with the screw (with a large head) on it. fill to the screw level.

changing lower unit, usually there are two screws one on the lower part of bullet of the l/u the other near the ventelation plate. fill into the bottom hole until it comes out the top

*NOT HIJACKING THIS THREAD ONLY ADDING TO IT*

Iceman, when changing out the lower unit oil...I would believe it would be best to drain the old oil out with the motor tilted up, right? Then fill the lower unit with the motor all the way down right? Unfortunately, I have 3, 8 oz squeeze tubes, so this might get messy.

Cory

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The lower unit will drain best when the engine is tilted fully down. Look where the drain is. If you raised the motor you will trap lube at the front of the bullet. For a couple of bucks you can by a pump that screws into a quart lub bottle. The pump has a fitting on the hose that screws into the drain hole. Pump until fluid comes out the top hole. Insert the top plug and then remove the fill hose and insert the drain plug -- using new washers/o-rings on each of the plugs to prevent water intrusion.