Previously painted question?

First Strike

Recruit
Hi,

New poster, looking for advice on which paint and prep for a boat I plan to restore.

Which bottom paint (and prep) would you recommend for a 1985 Grady White boat? The boat has two coats of unknown bottom paint, which are badly faded and peeling.

Which course of action and paint would you suggest using to restore the bottom of this boat, since I am unaware of the type paint used previously? The boat also will not remain in the water, and will be trailered.

Thanks for any suggestions. My hope is to not have to sand off what is already there.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Previously painted question?

I recently bought Interlux Brightside paint for my boat.
I too don't know want paint was previously used on mine.
And I don't want to strip the whole thing.
Brightside is a 1 part poly safe to use over previously painted surfaces.
I also bought the associated primer for it.
I looked at a lot of brands and decided on Interlux because the instructions were clear, it had a primer just for it, good color choice, reasonable pricing and 1 type thinner for the primer and topcoat to buy. I plan on spraying mine boat when it gets a little warmer.

You will have to strip anything that is peeling, that is for sure. Prep is EVERYTHING in painting. Don't rush it, spend the time on surface prep with the right grades of sand paper at the right points and make sure the hull is clean before you start.

First Strike

Recruit
Re: Previously painted question?

Thanks, Woodcrafter. Good luck to you.

The boat is fiberglass! Sorry, I neglected to include that.