Whole-house Air Purifier

mscher

Lieutenant
Anyone use a whole-house air purifier, that connects into the furnace ducts?

Bryant make one that is electrostatic, so there is no filter to clean or replace.

Although they a a grand or more, plus installation, if they are effective, it may be worth it in the long run, since we have a lot of allergy and sinus problems.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Whole-house Air Purifier

I think "purifier" is a bit overstating what electrostatics do.

They can remove particulate matter down to amazing minimum size and the particulate matter accumulates and needs to be removed from time to time. Sometimes that is not as simple and easy as changing a filter.

Vaporous and gaseous contaminants that may affect the odor of the air are not removed, but they are rarely irritants.

If you have a lot of allergies an electrostatic air cleaner is a good choice, but don't expect too much of it.

gonefishie

Commander

Do you have crawl space or basement? If you do, what is the condition down there? crawl space might be wet and moldy, get that taken care of first. In the winter time with all the doors and windows close all the time, almost all of the air you're breathing in come from underneath the house.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Be sure to do a thorough job of research before you leap. I seem to recall there are some claimed bad health effects with the electrostatic ones. They ionize the air I think - I don't remember the details but check anyway.

bobo1

Seaman Apprentice

Solittle is correct. Go to: www.epa.gov and check out their article on these devices. Once there, look at the menu on the left. Go to "Indoor Air". Once there, click on "more", that will be on the top of the screen. An alphabet comes up, go to "O" and you'll find the article on ozone generators. The most popular of these devices is the Ionic Breeze. If you've seen the newer TV commercials, the Ionic Breeze now comes with an "ozone guard". Hmmm, go figure. Ozone damages the lungs.
Regarding the product that you are interested in, check to see if indeed it functions as an ozone generator. It probably is that type. I work as a respiratory therapist for a pulmonary practice here in Reno, NV.