I/o Verses Outboard

5chev5

Cadet
I am buying a I/O merc 140 HP, in a 17 ft chris craft cavalier bowrider,, a buddy of mine told me that I/O are a pain to work on, is there a big difference in theses motors, am I getting my self into trouble,,thanks for the replys. i do not no sh--t about a boat. so all the help is apprecaited.
Edit/Delete Message

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: I/o Verses Outboard

In a boat that size, many would say to go Outboard because it leaves you a lot more room in the boat. If it's an older carbed OB, then you do have a pretty simple engine, simpler drivetrain than IO, but have to make sure that the oil injection works and it never runs too lean, either will kill a 2 stroke fast. If you're talking newer ob, they are a lot more complex and not that do it yourself freindly, but will run smoother and no smoke compared to the older style. IO in that boat will probably be a 4 cyl merc, pretty simple engine, but you need to learn about IO issues, gimbles bearing, ujoints, bellows, exhaust manifolds, etc. I have an IO and don't really mind working on it, I like the sunpad and full transom that the IO gives. But, if I was going newer boat in the same size, I'd probably go OB because of ease of winterizing and less work in salt water areas.