Delayed Flush

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Merry Christmas to all you folks!
Yesterday my kids were over and twisted my arm for a boat ride.
Got back in and I was starting my flushing routine on the Yamaha's 8 and 115 4 strokes.
Just had started and we lost electrical power. We are on a community well so had to stop.
Power is restored now but I'm at work so it will be tonight before I get back to it.
Salt water usage so I'll do my normal dual flush using the hose attachment first and then the muffs while running for 10 minutes or so.
So how serious is it to have a about a 24 hour delay in flushing after running in salt water?

SiLiconD17

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Delayed Flush

Shouldn't make any difference. By the time I get home from a full day of fishing in this beautiful Florida sunshine, when I get home about the only thing I want to do is park the boat and Jeep and go pass out, so usually cleaning the boat waits until the day after. I've never had any issues with corrosion outside the ordinary.

TonyNoriega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here in Tampa I only fish salt water....I try to flush right away but if there's a delay I will flush it for a longer time. My thinking is that if it has more time for the salt deposits to dry, it would take more time for the water erosion to remove it.

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here in Tampa I only fish salt water....I try to flush right away but if there's a delay I will flush it for a longer time. My thinking is that if it has more time for the salt deposits to dry, it would take more time for the water erosion to remove it.

I was thinking along he same lines. I flushed both motors with the hose attachment for about 20 minutes each and then put the muffs on and ran them both for about 10 minutes. I think that should have been good.

SiLiconD17

Seaman Apprentice

I always like to run the gas out of the carbs as well, so usually mine runs for a while on the muffs when I flush it...

djnelson

Cadet

Through most of the 1970's and all the 1980's I ran sailing charter yachts, we used a lot of different outboards on the tenders, mostly they were in daily use but often sat for a week or two unused, we never flushed them with fresh water and never had any problems related to the cooling system. The problems as I recall were often with the ignition systems and just damage due to being in almost constant use. The engines that lasted the best were the Yamahas (when they came out) I dont ever remember a yamahe failing. The big motor yachts probably flushed their tender engines but I am pretty shure the sailing crews almost never did.
I would not recomend not flushing, and I now always flush my outboards, but I think that the occasional 24 hour delay would have little or no effect and that 10 or 20 mins. may not be of any benifit.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

I always like to run the gas out of the carbs as well, so usually mine runs for a while on the muffs when I flush it...

Not a good thing.... no gas=no oil too. (except on a 4 stroke)

SiLiconD17

Seaman Apprentice

Not a good thing.... no gas=no oil too. (except on a 4 stroke)

When you leave that gas/oil in the carburetors for an extended period of time, they will get gummed up because gasoline evaporates whereas oil will not. This leaves deposits of oil in your carburetors and will ultimately gum them up.

And that's what the choke is for after you've run the motor dry. The choke actually squirts gas/oil down into the reeds and then into the crankcase, so even after you've run the carbs dry it will still get lubrication right off the bat.