1989 evinrude 110

Hi, I've purchased Stratos 1989 Evinrude 110. I have two problems. Starting the engine is difficult. It sounds like I need an increased continuous gas flow to get it started. I squeeze gas bulb and use choke before attemtping to start. It takes a while to get started. I was told there is a button to press that allows advancement of the throttle without gear engagement. I've looked where people tell me to look and can't find it. I cannot believe that I would have to treat the engine this way every time I go out. Secondly, after getting started and cruising somewhere around 4500 rpm the motor bogs. It decelerates and excelerates over and over. I was told it could be cavitation but read this happens during low speed exceleration. The engine is in great shape otherwise idles and runs great. Your ideas would be appreciated.

Proud new and first time boat owner.
Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 evinrude 110

Welcome to iboats. First off, you should go into the FAQ section of this forum and read a thread entitled "Cold Starting Procedures." A manual for your motor will also pay for itself a million times over, look for an OEM manual from Ebay or outboardbooks.com for a factory reprint. Dont get a Seloc or Clymers manual. On any new outboard, I would clean out and rebuild the carbs, which may be part of your problem. Try spraying some pre mix into the throats and see if that helps, you may have a fuel starvation problem, which could either be carb or fuel pump related, or fuel lines/connections. Change the lu oil and inspect if for water intrusion, changing the gaskets for the vent and drain screw when re installing, then change it every Fall from then on. Also perform a spark test to ensure that you are not dropping a cylinder. Your spark should jump a 7/16 inch gap with a strong blue ZAP!! Since the motor is new to you, I would also do a compression test first thing. Finally you will need to drop the lower unit and look into the water pump. The impeller is a vital component of an outboard, and should not be over looked. The part is cheap, but its failure can cause expensive and catastrophic consequences. Let us know what you find. Good luck

Chris

D

DJ

Re: 1989 evinrude 110

Agree with HighTrim.

Do as he says.

1. Get a manual.

2. Get that water pump serviced.

3. Service the lower unit using new fill/drain plug seals.

4. Check your fuel lines for leaks.

5. If you have an inboard fuel tank, try running it with the filler cap loose.

In the meantime, try this starting procedure.

1. On your control you should have a button in the middle of your control lever hub. That button allows you to disengage the gear shifting portion of the control and allows you to advance the throttle only. If there is no button, push in or pull out on the hub of the lever. You should feel it disengage.

2. Prime the engine using the primer bulb. Squeeze until hard.

3. Turn the key to ON---NOT START.

4. Push the yey in and count to eight.

5. Release the key.

6. Start engine.

7. You may have to "bump" the key in a few times to keep it running.