Outdrive seal needs to be glued?????

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Happy Holidays to all. My boat is a 1995 Bayliner Capri, 3.0 Alpha-One gen2. Just finished installing the engine and was reading through the manual for replacing the water pump in the outdrive and the installation process. The manual says that the seal inside the bellhousing bore need to be glued in or water till leak into the boat after outdrive installation?? Glued??? Also how important is replacing the 3 orings on the U-Joint shaft, it appears the seals in my kit arn't the right size (not fat enough).. Water passage seal looks correct.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Outdrive seal needs to be glued?????

Ayuh,....

If it falls out of place while your Beating the outdrive back on,.... It Might Leak......

I use a Glob of Grease to hold the Great Big Fat Square O-ring in place myself,....
No Glue.......
Also how important is replacing the 3 orings on the U-Joint shaft, it appears the seals in my kit arn't the right size (not fat enough)..
Ayuh,.... Use Them.......
The old 1s have probably swollen over time......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I always glue that big oring in place. If it gets bumped and knocked out of place, it will leak. I just use bellows adhesive on the od of the ring to hold it in place.
Once you have to replace the ujoints and gimbal bearing because of water in the bellows you will find that little bit of glue isn't very expensive.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

If you don't have bellows adheisive or a place nearby to get it, the 3M weatherstrip adheisive will work just as well.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great glue it is. I just installed the water pump kit and have a few questions. It's the mercruiser kit, I installed the bottom gasket then the metal plate with gasket on top, then the impeller and pump houseing with key way. Then finally the top seal that you install with the tool they supply. Question is I have five more seals with the kit, two are small kind of washer seals and are yellow maybe 1/2" ID, one is orange with about 3/8 ID, ,, and two are large orange O Rings which look like they could go on the shaft for the outdrive that slides into the engine with about 1 inch ID.. Any ideas?? The P/N of the kit is 47-43026Q06 Quicksilver... Thanks,,HO HO HO

Don S

The orange one goes between the upper and lower halves of the drive. Just starboard of the water pump.
The yellow ones are gaskets for the drain and vent plugs. They should always be replaced when you change the gear lube.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm still trying to find where the additional seals go. My vent and drain plug have actual O rings that seal, these yellow seals are just like metal washers.. Still Looking.. Merry Christmas..

Don S

MOST Merc drain and vent plugs use the NOW Yellow gaskets. They used to be blue and earlier gray. They are a hard fiber. the earlier ones were pressed paper.
But some used orings, these should also be replaced but don't come in the kit. The part number is 25-805726.