Replacing Motor mounts

Happy Holidays all,
I discover rotted wood in the motor mount boxes:)confused:) I was going to drill them out bigger and bigger until I found clean wood, which I did on the starboard side, but the the port side I had to completely remove all the wood and reglass it. So my question is what is the best way to align the engine? I took measurements prior to starting this, so should I just use the measurements? Also on the starboard side I put 1" wood rods back in and glassed them in with epoxy resin, is this going to hold? It's a 19' cuddy with a 350 OMC. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing Motor mounts

i'm moving you, to the I/O forum.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Which OMC? A Stringer mount or a Cobra?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

Your Measurements will get you somewhat Close,.......
An Alignment Bar will get you Dead On.........

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

As Bondo said, get an alignment bar. Using the bar is simple.... just put some grease on the tip of it and shove it in. Pull it out and look to see where the grease has been rubbed off. If it rubbed off the top, the front of the motor has to go up, if it rubbed off the bottom, front of motor gotta go down. Off the right side, front of motor gotta go right etc........ Once you get your bar sliding in and out real easy, your'e done.

Thanks! So just set the rear mounts in and adjust the front mounts as needed? Also, how often should you change the transom seal out? I just aquried this boat. Should I change it out just because im in there or should I test it by bolting on the outdrive and pluging the water hose and see if she leaks? It has been out of the water for about 3 years and getting parts on this island takes about 3 weeks. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So just set the rear mounts in and adjust the front mounts as needed?

Yes, the only movement needed is up and down as long as you don't have the engine pushed port or starboard when you bolted the engine down.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks! So just set the rear mounts in and adjust the front mounts as needed? Also, how often should you change the transom seal out? I just aquried this boat. Should I change it out just because im in there or should I test it by bolting on the outdrive and pluging the water hose and see if she leaks? It has been out of the water for about 3 years and getting parts on this island takes about 3 weeks. Thanks

I'd replace all the rubber parts in that transom assembly.

Sounds good, I am replacing all the rubber, but now another noob question. I check in my not very informative selco manual and there is nothing on resealing the transom. Is all the goes on the outer transom plate the 3m 5200? I have a gasket that seems to go right around the transom opening, does this go on the outside.....?

Also I noticed that the lower starboard side bolt hole is pressed in about 1/4 inch. Does this need to be fixed? The wood is NOT rotted and is dry, it looks like it may have been over torqed. Sorry for the ignorant questions.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

There is a high-desity foam gasket that get's glued into the gimball housing where it meets the transom. Merc says not to use any sealant on this gasket when mounting the gimball, but if you want to smear some 5200 on it, you can. Just remember though, with 5200, if you ever take it apart again, the gel-coat will be ripped from the transom....yes, 5200 is THAT strong. Use 4200 if you want.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

That depressed bolt hole does indicate wood rot. With that boat sitting for 3 years, there may not be any water in the transom now, but there prob was at one point. You just replaced some bad wood up by the front mounts.....no telling how much rot is in the transom.