Lubriplate

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone ever used this instead of of gear oil for a leaky lower unit? I read this on another website and I couldn't believe it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lubriplate

Lubriplate was used primarily in sliding applications and is not a candidate for "EP" (Extreme Pressure) applications. But if you want to risk a lower unit going bye-bye rather than spending a few bucks resealing it (starting with the drain and vent plug gaskets) go for it.

D

DJ

Lubriplate was used primarily in sliding applications and is not a candidate for "EP" (Extreme Pressure) applications. But if you want to risk a lower unit going bye-bye rather than spending a few bucks resealing it (starting with the drain and vent plug gaskets) go for it.

Agreed.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Lubriplate is the brand name. They make all kinds of industrial lubricants. So: suitability depends on which formulation you use.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

They make a lot of stuff including CRC. I guess you could stuff some of the heavier stuff in there and it wouldn't leak. Then you could replace the seals when the LU fails completely.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now, I didn't say I was gonna do it.:D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Now if you want to experiment, add a little molydisulfide powder in the gear oil. Haven't tried it in a lower unit, but I did have an issue with breaking rollers on a snowmobile drive chain. I added a teaspoon of molydisulfide powder to the chain case and no more issues. But man -- don't get the stuff on your hands. It permiates skin and it has to "wear off".

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I used to use the Marine grease (white) for trailer wheel bearings as it was designed to stick to the bearings and resist water washout. Worked good. Also used it for general purpose marine lubing till I started using Quicksilver with Teflon.

Mark

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

What outboard are you talking about in this thread? Lubriplate 105, or white engine assembly grease, can be used in LU's. It was the standard lubricant for this application until the petroleum companies started marketing the hypoid oils for marine applications. It won't emulsify with water like hypoid oil, but it is no substitute if your outboards specs call for more modern oil. As said earlier, replace the seals if it needs it...that's a lot cheaper than replacing the gear set and seals together.

BillP

Captain

105 was also used on motors that didn't have oil seals in the gear case. The only lube that stays in the gear case is Lubriplate 105. Standard gear oil drains out immediately.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Sorta off topic, but on old farm machinery gearboxes, 105 is the lube of choice. It is more fluid that #2 NPI grease yet doesn't drain out like regular gear oils.

In particular are shredders, with their vertical shafts and usually unvented gearboxes that get hot and that pressure forces the lube out the worn lower seal.....course venting the box when you add the 105 certainly helps it to stay.

In marine lower units, you have the cooling effect of the water which helps to control expansion and expulsion.

Mark