Gunsights

mscher

Lieutenant
I have an old Remington 512 Sportmaster .22, that I had used with a scope for years. With my eyesight and stupid glasses, it makes using the scope nearly impossible.

I removed the scope and intend to use the original open sights.

The rear sight has a notched piece under it, to raise or lower the sight.

Is there any methodology to sighting in this gun with the adjustable rear sight, or just move it until it is on?

Thanks for any input

Laddies

Banned
Re: Gunsights

Aways move the rear sight the direction you want the weapon to shoot.

JRJ

Commander

Nothing wrong with open sights, but you can mount a scope with a 1" tube, even variable, and built for a .22. Good luck.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It's all about the rear sight... It should be mounted in a slight dovetail grove whick allows drifting it right or left (Laddies id right Move the rear sight in the direction you want the shot to move)

and the wedge will do the elevation adjustments......

Sight it in at 50 yds or 100.... your preference.

aspeck

Staff member

Just move it till it is on ... but do it in small increments till you get the feel of how much change a little movement does - and always move the rear sight the direction you want to go. Good luck, and good shooting!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Never had much faith in scopes. One bump and Bambi gets to go, home. Somehow had the feeling that if they worked it was sort of cheating.

Got my Expert badge with US Military peep sights on an M1 Garand, circa 1953, but always preferred open iron sights on my sporting/plinking arms.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........

All Good Advise here,.......

Just set the rear sight where you Think it otto be on the elevator,+ Pop off 3 shots or so,+ See where it's hitting......
Then move it accordingly......

A couple years ago, We had a Woodchuck that moved into our Garden,......
So,..... I set a leghold trap in 1 of his runways,....

Next day, before I got home from work, He got in the Trap,...
My Love arrived home before me,+ God Bless her, She decided to take Care of the Problem Herself,......
Grabbing my little Remington Nylon 76 levergun with the Tasco scope of unknown power she went out to the garden,+ commenced to Unload on the poor creature,..... She was Trying to sight thru the Scope,+ was seeing Brown with no detail,.... She Could have looked Under the scope,+ used the Iron Sights which are mounted,+ Sighted.....
But,.........

Anyways,............ When I got home from work,.....
I found My Love in a Tearful Bundle almost on the floor,...... A Total Wreck,......
Naturally,.... I consoled her,+ asked What the problem could be,..??..??.......
So,.......
She explained What had just happened,+ that She was out of Bullets,+ the poor creature was Still Scared $h!tle$$ peeking out from under the fence..............
Soooooooo,......... I poured in another 15 shots or so,+ walked out to the Garden,......
Sure enough,...
There's Woody sitting under the fence, I walk up to him, Point-Blank on the noggin,+ Pop him...........
1 of those Priceless Moments was the Look on My Loves face..........
In Her utter Amazement,...........
The Tears Stopped,+ She says,.........
"$h-T,.... That was Easy,....... I was standing over Here"................
Which was about Maybe 10'/12' away....................

The critter was on an 8" Chain,.......... Not like he was going too far....:D

Btw,...........
Back to topic,.........
I've found that switching to a "Peep Sight" really Helps.................;)

JRJ

Commander

I'd get her a box of ammo Bond-o. Good1.

MikDee

Banned

My uncle gave me an old bolt action .30/.40 Springfield when I was about 10, I had ammo spread out all over the basement, my folks were never into guns, but I was the rebel. I kept it clean an lubed in my closet, but never shot it till I was about 20, I collected all the ammo I could find, headed for the range that happened to be setup for 100yrds, and me & a friend with a Winchester lever action 32' special, couldn't hit anything :confused: Well, afterwards I found out that the redfield peep sight someone put on the gun?, was so low it was hitting the bolt, and still wasn't low enough (from roughly sighting thru the barrel with the bolt out), next I had to go get a taller 3/8" blade for the front sight, in order to correct it. Sure enough my next trip to the range, at 50yds I was finally able to sight it in!

Benny1963

Lieutenant

use holden ironsighters it allows you to use scope and retain fixed sights
happy new year bennyb

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

MSCHER, you may find that iron sights aren't the answer for aging eyes either. I need bifocals. My distance vision is excellent through the top of my eyeglasses. My closeup vision is excellent through the bottom of my glasses. It's utterly impossible to line up the rear sight with the bead with the target anymore. No depth of field. I've gone to a wide-angle fixed 4X scope on the .22. Not the little skinny traditional .22 scope but a real deer rifle scope.

mscher

Lieutenant

MSCHER, you may find that iron sights aren't the answer for aging eyes either. I need bifocals. My distance vision is excellent through the top of my eyeglasses. My closeup vision is excellent through the bottom of my glasses. It's utterly impossible to line up the rear sight with the bead with the target anymore. No depth of field. I've gone to a wide-angle fixed 4X scope on the .22. Not the little skinny traditional .22 scope but a real deer rifle scope.

I have the bi-focals, but it seems nearly impossible to easily see though binoculars, scopes and camera viewfinders.

Besides, I been having to shoot at critters in the night, which really makes it tough with a scope.

No big deal at close range. The 512 got a new barrel bluing last night and is looking good ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Have you considered a laser sight?

I haven't used one, I still managed to hit what I want to hit with open sights and bifocals when using a rifle and with instinct shooting using the scattergun.

Handguns are where I fall short. I plan to put a laser sight on my Fathers/Grandfathers/Great Grandfathers Day wish list. I expect that the laser will greatly aid me in popping marauding armadillos at night with the Ruger P9.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Have you considered a laser sight?

Handguns are where I fall short. I plan to put a laser sight on my Fathers/Grandfathers/Great Grandfathers Day wish list. I expect that the laser will greatly aid me in popping marauding armadillos at night with the Ruger P9.

I can just picture the little red dot appearing on the armadillos head....... lead poisoning followed by lead poisoning! :eek: :D