Carbs floats for 175 Johnson

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am rebuilding my carbs and in the manual it tells you to adj the floats from 11/16 to 1 1/8 inch to the mating surface when the carb is held in a up right position . what is the best mesurement to use and what is the effect in the changes of that adj . ? The invert mesurment has only one adj . that is 1/32 parallel to the bowl surface . I am in florida so I am at sea level and its a 2000 175 Johnson Thanks for the input !

Thanks tashadaddy for the screwdriver idea work great those jets were really dirty !

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Carbs floats for 175 Johnson

The first measurement is called "float drop" and anywhere within spec is fine. That adjustment has little or no effect on operation of the engine. The second measurement is "float level" or "float height" and that one is important as it sets the level of fuel in the float bowl. That level is critical for proper operation of the carb. With the float level too high, the engine can run rich and the carb can actually run over since the float controls the needle and seat which shuts off fuel when the bowl is full. If set too high the needle and seat may not shut off and the fuel pump simply pumps that cylinder full of fuel or as a minimum makes it run extremely rich.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I was rebuilding one of mine today and just set the float level with the carb body....Thats what a read to do. Is that ok or should i remove and re-measure?
Not to hijack but same question..

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I just flip mine upside down so the weight of the float closes the needle. The float should be parallel to the gasket surface like this.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks HT,Thats what i did.The new needle and seat caused me to have to adjust the float just a bit.
On another note,The 4 screws in the float bowl for the idle and high speed jets have rubber o-rings on them.The Sierra kit had hard red gasket type washers instead.I reused the o-rings because those other gaskets just did not fit right.I'll not buy Sierra kits again.
Also how hard do you tap the orifice plugs in? I used a small socket and about 3 taps with a hammer.
Yep,I'm a newbie on these carbs...:rolleyes:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

carb float arm.gif

different carb, same idea, how the float arm (A) or float is parallel to the gasket surface (B)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I too use a socket extension, due to the rounded tip, with a couple taps of the hammer.

This is a great tutorial, easier to watch

"http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/TMDsVideoChronicle2.wmv"

I am also a firm believer in buying OEM parts. I do not like the Sierra carb kits nor the impellers, but that is just my own humble opinion.

JJB

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks silvertip thats what I was looking for ! I have the one set to 1/32" above and parellel to the bowl surface as per spec in the manual . I used a feeler gauge for that adj so I know its right . The other falling float setting is set to 1" so it is also between spec 11/16 to 1 1/8 . Thanks for the input !! hey guys it your just setting the float Just parellel to the bowl on the rise part its might not be adj right . the manual said 1/32 " to bowl surface , it took some time to get it right . Thanks for the input !