trailer bearings going out too much

Cptkid570

Ensign
Hey everyone,

I have a 19’ 2” boat (bowrider, vee hull).. boat is a 1987. NADA says that it weighs around 2025 pounds, but I haven’t officially weighed it. May be heavier if any stringers/foam is waterlogged.

Anyway, it’s on a single axle trailer (I don’t have the bearing sizes with me). But, I seem to have to install new bearings in it about once or twice a year. I’m installing the bearings correctly, but I’m seriously eating through them.

Is the boat too heavy for a single axle trailer? Is the boat weight maybe distributed poorly? Tongue weight seems to be fine.

I’ve seriously thought about adding another axle to it, but I’d rather put my money into my other boat. If I adjusted the weight distribution of the boat and made it have a lot more tongue weight, would it give any relief to the axle/bearings?

Just looking for suggestions. I like this trailer because I have it configured as a removable tongue so that it fits in my garage… For the record, a good indicator that your bearings are about to go is when the buddy bearing shoots out of the hub :)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: trailer bearings going out too much

If I adjusted the weight distribution of the boat and made it have a lot more tongue weight, would it give any relief to the axle/bearings?

Ayuh,............ Not Really,............

I'm somewhat doubtful that Just abit of overloading is your Issue,........
As I've hauled Severely Overloaded trailers without Bearing Problems,......
Not saying it's Right, but I've done it......

When you change out the Bearing,.......
Are you changing the Cup as well as the Cone,..??..... Matched Sets,..??
Are you properly Packing them with Grease,..??.....
Just how Tight are you tightening them,..??....
NADA says that it weighs around 2025 pounds, but I haven’t officially weighed it.
Ayuh,........... You probably otta Weigh it,.......
NADA is usually way off in a Dream World when it comes to boat weights,.......Usually.............;)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Boat weights are almost always underestimated by their owners. If this is an outboard, your need to add it's weight, the weight of the trailer minus the wheels, hubs and tires as this is "unsprung weight". You must also add the weight of the fuel, anchors, gear, water toys etc. so instead of 2000 pounds you have probably closer to 3000 pounds to tote around. If you have 1-1/16 inch inner and outer bearings, you have a 2000-2200 pound axle and it would be seriously overloaded. If you have 1-1/16 outer and 1-3/8 inner bearings you could have a 3500 pound trailer. I suspect it's the former. Park on a perfectly level parking lot and face the rear of the trailer from about 50 feet back. Squat down and observe the two tires. If they are noticeably tilted inward at the top, the axle is bent and hence traveling that way, plus being overloaded is very tough on bearings. To much pre-load is also a bearing killer. To little pre-load is also a bearing killer. Improper packing procedure is also a bearing killer. Replacing just the roller bearing and not the races is another cause of failure. And then there is the possibility of incorrect bearing selection.

Cptkid570

Ensign

In the past, I'm not sure if I was replacing the races or not.. or if I was overtightening or now... I'm getting ready to put on a new hub, bearings, seal, and buddy bearing on one side... I'm going to make sure everything is packed really well in grease and not overtighten and all that.. we'll see how it goes.... the thing is, I only tow it about 5 miles to the ramp.. I don't take long trips with it these days.

It could be installation error on my part... I just figured I'd run some stuff by you guys.. I really appreciate your input..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your are launching in salt water, if you have any water intrusion, they won't last long. replace the seals everytime they come off.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you are replacing bearings a couple times a year and only traveling 5 miles to a ramp, there are some serious installation problems.

Bondo

Staff member

If you are replacing bearings a couple times a year and only traveling 5 miles to a ramp, there are some serious installation problems.

Ayuh,......................................

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

In the past, I'm not sure if I was replacing the races or not.. or if I was overtightening or now... I'm getting ready to put on a new hub, bearings, seal, and buddy bearing on one side... I'm going to make sure everything is packed really well in grease and not overtighten and all that.. we'll see how it goes.... the thing is, I only tow it about 5 miles to the ramp.. I don't take long trips with it these days.

It could be installation error on my part... I just figured I'd run some stuff by you guys.. I really appreciate your input..
You MUST replace the races,they are matched to each bearing.Do not over tighten them.Just snug the nut up then back it off a half a turn..
If the axle was bent or overloaded you should see some bad tire wear,usually on the inside edge of the tread.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Backing a spindle nut off 1/2 turn will certainly create too much free-play. Snug it up, back it off, turn it finger tight and back it off to the first slot in which you can get the cotter pin into. Then put one hand at the 9 and 3 o-clock positions and try to pivot the wheel. If you feel an ever so slight amount of free play, it's ok. If you feel none it's too tight. The bearing needs just a couple thousandths of an inch free play.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Backing a spindle nut off 1/2 turn will certainly create too much free-play. Snug it up, back it off, turn it finger tight and back it off to the first slot in which you can get the cotter pin into. Then put one hand at the 9 and 3 o-clock positions and try to pivot the wheel. If you feel an ever so slight amount of free play, it's ok. If you feel none it's too tight. The bearing needs just a couple thousandths of an inch free play.
Totally agree. Bearings must have a little play. A few thou is well enough

Lakester

Chief Petty Officer

hello,

the how to tighten wheel bearings is on the $$.

have u also considered Bearing Buddies?

they are supposed to keep the water out, and bearing lubed.

may help.

regards,

lakester

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

My 1st Guess on what's Happening is,.......

If you're replacing the Wheel Seals each time you repack/ replace the Bearings,....
I gotta believe the area of the quill that the Seal rides on is Trashed,.....
Consequently,.....
As Soon as you back into that Saltwater,..
The bearings are loading up with Saltwater,+ Destroying everything........

Even Bearing Buddies won't Help if the Seals are Leaking...............

Cptkid570

Ensign

Thank you for the tips... you guys are the best. I'm thinking that I'm overtightening and not backing off on my installation. Axle is new, so all is good with it...

I am using buddy bearings...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Maybe you aren't packing the bearing properly. Explain your procedure.

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I install new bearings and races, after packing the bearings and installing them, I tighten the bearings with a breaker bar to set them.
Then loosen the nut, and hand tighten it till the "side to side" play is gone while spinning the wheel.
I was taught to keep tightening the nut until the "side to side" play is gone, but never more than that.
With that method, I've never had a bearing fail. ( knock on wood )

wncrjb

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Tapered roller bearings need a couple thousandths of free play. No free play is a bad thing. And a breaker bar is not needed to put 30 foot/lbs of preload to set the bearings. Funny you haven't cracked a race or chipped a roller.

James R

Commander

Hi
I agree with all that has been said especially not using a breaker bar.
Be sure that the bearing outers are seated fully and squarely in the hub.
Carefully pull the bearings tight with a socket or grips on the nut whilst rotating the wheel. When the wheel starts to drag, back off the nut to the nearest pin hole and put the pin in. Run the trailer for a couple of hours and recheck for excessive play. Some small play is acceptable.
I am of the old school as far as bearings are concerned. I have not measured the hardness of the bearings, most of which are coming from China but I suspect that they are cheaply made like everything from that part of the world.
I pay considerably more for bearings made by US companies, albeit that they may be made in Mexico or Romania etc but I am reasonably sure of getting a good quality bearing. All of my trailers sport US bearings with Buddies and I have several. No bearing problems here.
Hope this is of some help.
Jim.
Jim.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

I don't believe you're overloading the one axle with a 19' boat. I have a 19' Glastron with an iron 350 V8 I/O, about 3000 lbs on a single axle EZ Loader, still has the original bearings in it from 1984. I average 500 mi a year. I give the Buddies 1 pump of grease before each longer trip, so far, so good.

tommays

Admiral

47b7cc07b3127cceb22964ca20da00000026100AaOWLZq3ct2IA

The seal area is not that good when there NEW ;) and time does its thing

47b7cc07b3127cceb22964a020b000000026100AaOWLZq3ct2IA

To really seal out water it needs a good surface like a Speedi Sleeve gives they come in many sizes 1.720 on my axle

47b7d700b3127ccebc782a5c987500000036100AaOWLZq3ct2IA

My last set before the repair only lasted a few months :eek:

Tommays

EMM

Seaman Apprentice

You need to preload the bearings by turning the wheel while tightening the nut. Torque the nut to about 10-15ft.lbs. Then back the nut off at least 1 flat to line up the hole with a castleation on the nut and instale the cotter pin.