Resin Cleanup

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
What do you use, if anything to clean up poly resin (like off your tools, gloves, etc)?

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Resin Cleanup

Good question SgtMaj. I have asked this question on another thread myself but in a little different way, cleaning it off of lexan glass. Never did get a response to the question. I haven't even got the sh"" off of it the glass yet, I'm afraid to use a razor because I'll probably scratch it all up.

I found that eventually (key word "eventually") Go Jo will take a bit of it off. I don't know if brake cleaner, or pain thinner will work or not. Like I said good question. I imagine that the gloves are history.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Is it the same answer if it is fresh and uncured?

I haven't started working with it yet, I just want to make sure I have everything ready, and knowing how messy I've gotten from other projects, I can imagine I'll need to clean up somehow.

The gloves I got were good chemical resistant gloves, so I'm hoping to get them to last through the entire (or at least half) of the transom repair.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Scratch the paint thinner off of the list, that might not be good for the clothing :rolleyes:. Don't wanna ruin someones wardrobe, it may work on the tools and gloves though. I imagine that tackling the resin when it is fresh would be a heck of allot better then tackling it when it is cured. Unfortunately in my situation the resin is cured. Don't know SgtMaj, there should be something out there to clean up resin. Lets see what the higher ranks say. Sorry about my other post lol, I woke up in a bad mood, me feeling better now :).

Robj

Lieutenant

Use acetone. Use disposable nitrile gloves buy a box of 100, and you can just throw them out when they get too covered in resin or develop holes. Brushes and rollers are also disposale. Acetone is quite expensive and it is not worth trying to clean a $1 brush so you just throw them away, you will use more acetone trying to clean it than the brush is worth. Your grooved roller for rolling out the air bubbles is not disposable, just keep it in a small can with acetone in it.

As far as cleaning it from lexan, I would be afraid to use acetone in case it damages the surface. Don't know that else you could try. Sorry.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Bondo

Staff member

Use acetone. Use disposable nitrile gloves buy a box of 100, and you can just throw them out when they get too covered in resin or develop holes. Brushes and rollers are also disposale. Acetone is quite expensive and it is not worth trying to clean a $1 brush so you just throw them away, you will use more acetone trying to clean it than the brush is worth. Your grooved roller for rolling out the air bubbles is not disposable, just keep it in a small can with acetone in it.

Ayuh,........... Exactly..........

Do your Clean ups when the resin is still Fresh,......
After it Sets Up,.... Mechanical means is about the Only way it's coming off.........

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

And remember to mask off everything you don't want resin on.

I don't know of anything that will remover resin from lexan with out damaging it.

Old Salt Oz

Seaman

The gloves I got were good chemical resistant gloves, so I'm hoping to get them to last through the entire (or at least half) of the transom repair.

A box of Latex disposable gloves is cheap and you will have more control, just change to a clean pair when the old ones get sticky.

Hope this helps.

Avagoodchrissie......

Old Salt Oz

Seaman

Use acetone. Brushes and rollers are also disposale. Acetone is quite expensive and it is not worth trying to clean a $1 brush so you just throw them away, you will use more acetone trying to clean it than the brush is worth. Your grooved roller for rolling out the air bubbles is not disposable, just keep it in a small can with acetone in it.

As far as cleaning it from lexan, I would be afraid to use acetone in case it damages the surface. Don't know that else you could try. Sorry.

Uncured resin can be removed with Acetone, not too expensive at AU$3.00 per litre. Also note, used or contaminated Acetone can be recycled by placing it in a container (Glass is good) with an air tight lid, stand it for a day or two and the rubbish drops to the bottom, you can then recover the clean part for reuse.

When cleaning brushes, always dry them with a clean rag as soon you take them out, or leave them in the Acetone inside a container with an air tight lid, this stuff evaporates faster than petrol.

Acetone is a hazardous chemical and you should wear a suitable carbon mask and a well ventilated area.

Application rollers with the usual 10 to 12mm nap need not be special resin roller, I use standard paint rollers, but buy the long ones and cut them down to fit an 80mm roller frame, very cheap so throw away after use and clean the frame with Acetone.

Cured resin can be removed from grooved rollers and other metal tools by heating with a blowtorch, gas flame or even a good heat gun.

A drip of resin that cures on a surface can sometimes be removed with a sharp cutting blade by digging the point into the surface of the drip and lifting, take care not to go through the drip.

Another method is to use a blunt scraper with the corners rounded off and just rest it against the edge of the drip and give it a bump with one hand whilst holding it with the other hand keeping the angle low to the surface to prevent damage with the follow through.

Hope this helps.

Avagoodchrissie......

Robj

Lieutenant

Don't buy latex gloves, they fall apart soon as you touch acetone or resin. Buy the nitrile gloves, they are much better and last longer. Same type of glove just made from a different material.

Have a great day,

Rob.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Don't buy latex gloves, they fall apart soon as you touch acetone or resin. Buy the nitrile gloves, they are much better and last longer. Same type of glove just made from a different material.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Any thoughts as to where to find/buy them?

Robj

Lieutenant

You can buy them at any autoparts store, Grainger, or any industrial supply house. I have even bought them at Costco. Where they sell the latex gloves they most likely will also have the nitrile gloves.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Old Salt Oz

Seaman

Quote:
<<<Don't buy latex gloves, they fall apart soon as you touch acetone or resin. Buy the nitrile gloves, they are much better and last longer. Same type of glove just made from a different material.>>> End Quote

G'day Rob,

I use latex gloves and standard resins all day every day, it's what I do for a living; all brushes and tools get washed in Acetone several times a day, never had a problem. Cost is around AU$00.07 per pair (9 cents US).

Avagoodweekend......

Robj

Lieutenant

Latex gloves have two strikes against them. They pretty well disentigrate, swell up and fall apart, when you touch solvent, and I believe the same with acetone. Some people can also develop severe allergies to latex. Which is why I never recommend using them. Nitrile is a bit more expensive but they last much longer and are much better. You can use what you want, this is just my $.02. Old Salt Oz., what color are the gloves you use?

Have a great day,

Rob.

Old Salt Oz

Seaman

"They pretty well disentigrate, swell up and fall apart, when you touch
solvent,

and I believe the same with acetone."
Unquote.

Hi Rob,
Acetone has no effect on Latex gloves. Can you tell me what solvent effects
them so I know what to avoid?

Thanks.

ebear

Seaman

I used to work in a prototype plastics shop years ago and we used
methelene chloride on all our tools. It ate all plastics. Although I think it was banned. sombody said it gave mice in california cancer. Lucky I'm not a mouse in california. besides that, find a hardware store that carries a paint stripper called; Aircraft remover. It's slower but will work on most plastics

Robj

Lieutenant

Old Salt Oz,

You are right, I grabbed a latex glove and poured acetone on it and it did not fall apart. But I do know that paint thinner and brake cleaner will destroy them, and latex allergies can be quite severe. Having said that, nitrile is still the way to go.

Have a great day,

Rob.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

Well I started working with the stuff today... and here's what I learned...

1. Don't mix small batches in plastic cups, as the bottom of the cup will dissintegrate and you'll be left with a puddle of resin (thankfully I mixed that first one above the piece I was going to pour it on anyway)

2. Even when uncured, it's still a pain to clean up even with acetone.

3. Take the advise of people here when they tell you to get a box of gloves, bare hands are a lot harder to clean up.

4. No matter how well you measure and cut the glass, when you wet it out, it won't be the right shape or size.

5. Air bubbles are a you know what.

Robj

Lieutenant

You get rid of bubbles with a grooved roller. It works great. Also don't use cups with wax on them to mix the resin, because the was will be mixed into the resin.

Have a great day,

Rob.