bellows on alpha 1

dry dock

Seaman Apprentice
what special tools do i need to have---also replacing gimble bearing the bellows started leaking this summer should i check or replace eneything else ?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: bellows on alpha 1

You will need a hinge pin tool & a shift cable tool & a puller for the bearing.....
You should pay close attention to the u joints as well......;)
What year is your drive?.....​

I'm currently doing the same thing on the same drive.

Do people normally buy these specialty tools, then keep them? I was told to check the autopart store for a puller that would get the gimbal out, but I've also got to remove my u-joint assembly (another specialty tool).

I haven't checked ebay or other sites, just curious on what the norm is for us weekend warriors that may not need the tool again for years (hopefully).

Thanks

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

You will also need an alignment tool and bearing installation tool for the gimball bearing.

ziggy

Admiral

along with hm's and flabums stuff. ya might do the water hose between the bellhouseing and transom shield....

exhust bellows expander for puting the exhust bellows back is good too.
some bellows adheiseve glue is nesseisary too....

co. i rented the brg puller at the autoparts store. my dealer has let me use his gimble brg. driver. + the the way nice marine tech has offered to let me use his shim tool for the drive gear when i get there ( real close to getting there) .... the other tools i've bought. i'm not a ebay guy to much, so i just got them from iboats and mercstuff... i plan on keepin the tools as i never know when i might need them again. i got buddys that got boats too. maybe i can save them the grief of having to get them.....

jdshort98

Cadet

If you are going to remove the bell housing to replace the ujoint bellows, you really should replace the shift cable and shift cable bellows also. If the bellows are over 5 years old, they both are due. To replace the shift cable bellows, you have to remove the shift cable, completly disassembling it. I have found that trying to reinstall a used cable, usually leads to a stiffer cable, which will lead to engine stalling because of the shift interupter. Spend the money, and replace the cable while you are in there. If you do both bellows, the cable, and the water hose, you are covered for years to come! If the trim gauge is not working, this is the time to consider the trim senders too!

The tools are expensive. If you go to your dealer, you may be able to strike a deal. Give them the business of buying all the parts from them, as opposed to buying them online, and they may loan the tools to you, or rent them to you. Buying them is not worth it, because if the job is done right, you won't need the tools again for several years.

Good luck!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The tools you need to replace the bellows are not expensive. The hinge pin tool can be bought... or you can use a big allen wrench - 1/2" I believe.

The alignment tool is 50 - 60 dollars, but one you will need again. Money well spent!
Here's a site showing how to replace the bellows:
'http://www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm]How Do I...[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerico

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought a kit at my local boat shop. It had all 3 bellows, the bearing, gaskets, hose, and o rings necessary. As far as tools, other than standard tools I rented a slide hammer puller from Auto Zone to pull the gimbal bearing and cut a circle out of a 2x6 to use as a tool to reinstall it.

The hardest part I had was installing the exhaust bellows and getting it to hold. I ended up going with a tip from here and an old boat guy. Sand the housing surface carefully, then use acetone to clean the surfaces. Finally, install the bellows carefully and tighten the clamps. The 3 times I tried using the glue, even letting it sit for 2 days to cure as soon as I tilted the trim it would come loose. Without the glue and with proper cleaning it gave me no problem all summer.

Good luck.

dry dock

Seaman Apprentice

the drive is a 79 had a mechanic do the bellows a couple of years ago when i first got the boat...the bellows were dryrotted nothin else was replaced......

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did this earlier this year and posted it here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=188259. I got the alignment tool off of ebay for about $40.00 shipped after losing about 8 previous auctions. The hinge pin tool also came from ebay. $15.99 plus shipping. Heck everything came from ebay come to think of it. Borrowed the puller from Autozone for free but had to pay a $75.00 deposit to make me want to take it back as promised. Not to expensive when you really look at it. I didn't have any problem with my exhaust bellows, it slide right on without having to buy the expander tool. I did take an old spoon handle and bend it at 45 degree angle and used it to fully pull the bellows all the way up to the hilt before I tightened it down with the clamp. Took a few hours to do but it wasn't as hard as i expected. Good luck

dry dock

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for all the info.......... pulled my drive yesterday and watter came out of the gimble bellows, the bering is froze and i will order a shift cable and replace the old one and the wires are broken on the tilt trim so i will have to replace that, and while im at it will replace the u joint it looks ok but it did get wet.....no rush i have all winter............

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Also check for water intrusion into the outdrivel. IF that yoke is all rusty, it will destroy the seal and you will then have gear lube in the bellows instead of in the drive.
Do you have an OEM manual for your Alpha? If not, #6 is for an Alpha I, #14 is for an Alpha I Gen II at the link below.

http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/sisdata/srvcovr.pdf

dry dock

Seaman Apprentice

hi don yes i do have a manual SELOC . I looked at the bellows it has a hole worn through from the hose .. thats why the bellows dident last very long the mech diden't replace those parts that i ahd in the kit three years ago, just the bellows now i know better.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

hi don yes i do have a manual SELOC

I was refering to an OEM manual that you can use to guide you thru repairs, not one for resting your knees on to keep them dry.

ziggy

Admiral

get the oem service manual jerico. ya got the link....
from yer discription, i'd sure wanna see that ft. seal .....i wanted to see mine for having pretty light rusty u-joints even though it passed a pressure test. my yoke was bad. i think i caught mine right before water intrusion into the drive. maybe ya'll get lucky too. yer in for some more tools though if ya wanna go look at the yoke seal...... + an education....that's where i'm at. being educated about just what yer gettin into.......

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don is right, the Seloc manual isn't always accurate. Download the OEM Merc manual from the link.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don is right, the Seloc manual isn't always accurate. Download the OEM Merc manual from the link.

Actually I think it goes: The Seloc manual is accurate every so often.