Evenrude 50373R wiring problems

aregbert

Cadet
I am new to this motor, and cant quite get it to fire. The guy I got it from said it ran, but im not seeing it. Looks like he are a lectrician, but it isnt wired properly. As soon as I turn the key the motor starts to turn.(in the run, not the start spot). there are a couple of extra wires taped off under the control box. Can anyone out there give any advice? Thanks.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Evenrude 50373R wiring problems

I have a 1971 50hp and the solenoid wire broke where the wiring harness goes through the engine cowl. I ended up running a whole new wire before I found the problem. So that's what the previos owner probably did, but hooked it up wrong
just a guess

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The control for the the 1973 is the same as that used for most remote consoles from 73-77 and the harness is the same for most 73 models.

The gray wire is left taped unless you have a tach.

List the colors of the wires that are taped.

Sometimes people will tape off the neutral switch. That is not a good idea at all.

If you want a more complete wiring diagram, I can email it to you. It is too large to post. Let me know by PM.

Attachments

• 1973 V4 Wiring.jpg
    1973 V4 Wiring.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 8

aregbert

Cadet

is there a differnce in an auto and marine key switch? I notice in looking at the diagrams, there are 5 posts on the diagram key switch, the one I pulled out only has 4. :confused:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Absolutely. There is a difference. An automotive switch won't work on an outboard with the type ignition system that you have. Possibly could even damage it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Best thing to do is to get the right ignition switch and set the motor up correctly. The dealerships have the right switch, or you can get an aftermarket one here at iboats.

You need a model specific service manual for your motor which will have a complete color wiring diagram.

The parts manuals are free and on line at the BRP parts Catalog Site:http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e

A lot of guys put a toggle switch outside the control to bypass the neutral safety switch inside the control; that may be what the wires were for. It could also have been for a tach or some other gauge.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

An auto ignition switch OPENS the ignition circuit to kill the engine. A two stroke ignition switch shorts the ignition circuit to ground to kill the engine. Why? A car uses a battery ignition system which is required to make the engine run. Outboards use a magneto system so the battery is used only to power the starter. The magneto provides its own ignition power.

aregbert

Cadet

thanks for the link. Makes a lot of sense with the explanation of switches and workings, as far as how they are killed. I just hope this motor wasnt killed by the previous genius