Mercury 200 EFI Will not start

jodeantn

Recruit
The boat was not used for about 10 months. It worked just fine about 10 montsh ago. The engine turns over and fires when I spray starting fluid in the intake. The fuel bulb pumps fuel. But the bulb seems real hard when presure is attained. At one point I did get fuel to the engine the bulb seemed firm but not hard and it started. After setting for a couple days it no longer starts and the bulb seems hard again. It almost seems like a check valve somewhere is getting stuck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury 200 EFI Will not start

Not sure on an injected engine, but does sound fuel flow related. I am sure one of the other Guru's here will chime in shortly.....However I strongly suggest using a squirt bottle with premix in it if you must spray to try to start! starting fluid has NO lubrication in it and can cause engine damage!!

rndn

Commander

Welcome to the forum!! Totally agree with the above post about the use of starting fluid. It's a great way to ruin an engine.
You stated it has not been run in 10 months, so is it all fresh gas or was the fuel treated prior to storage?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What's the SN of the engine. It may be the fuel pump is stopped up and won't pump. It may be able to be cleaned, just need to know exactly what you have.

And NEVER use that starting fluid on your EFI again.

jodeantn

Recruit

Welcome to the forum!! Totally agree with the above post about the use of starting fluid. It's a great way to ruin an engine.
You stated it has not been run in 10 months, so is it all fresh gas or was the fuel treated prior to storage?
I will not use the starting fluid again. The tank was full but the gas was not treated.

jodeantn

Recruit

What's the SN of the engine. It may be the fuel pump is stopped up and won't pump. It may be able to be cleaned, just need to know exactly what you have.

And NEVER use that starting fluid on your EFI again.
The serial number is 0G925373

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry! Forgot to welcome you in my last post!!! Welcome!

There is a TON of great people on here with a wealth of knowledge in a huge amount of topics!

Don S

OK, you have a 99 model.
One thing you need to do is see if the pump that's in the VST will run. If not, then try this. It came from a Merc service bulletin about the pumps siezing due to gum after extended storage. I have run into this problem on several similar motors and with the cleaning as shown, the pumps cleared out and worked fine after that.

Electfuelpumpssiezed1.png

Electfuelpumpssiezed2.png

jodeantn

Recruit

Excellent suggestion. I have now noticed a ticking noise coming from that area of the engine. Could that be the electric fuel pump? If it is it just keeps on ticking as if it is not getting any fuel. If this is an indication that the pump is not seized then the blockage must be before the fuel line gets fuel into the fuel pump. Does that make sense?

Don S

You really need a service manual, a fuel pressure gauge, and a volt meter and test leads to find your problem. On EFI motors, you can spend a lot of money replacing parts and guessing and still never find the cause.
You need OEM service manual #90-824052R3 dated JUNE 2002.