Like for example:
how points are assigned.
how voters are selected.
what the "(11)" in "LSU (11)" means.

thanks,

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Re: How does the AP Poll work?

Sorry jtexas, can't tell you. But even if I could I'd have to kill you;):D:D. Super top secrete. Only the BCS is clouded in more mystery. This is yet another X-file.

RGrew176

Commander

Curious about the logistics.
Like for example:
how points are assigned.
how voters are selected.
what the "(11)" in "LSU (11)" means.

thanks,

This is my understanding of how the poll works. I may not be totally correct but I am sure others will jump in with better information.

The (11) means that they received 11 votes for first place in the poll. Points are assigned by where you are voted in the poll. You get more points for a first place vote than you do for a second. There is a decreasing point value for each vote you get in a decending order. Now I am not sure how many points are given for a particular vote but lets say that a first place vote is worth 100 points and a twenty-fifth place vote is worth 1 point. After all the participants have completed placing their votes the vote values are tallied and the teams are placed in order from number one to number twenty-five.

I am not sure how the voters are selected but someone else may be able to provide the answer.

D

DJ

"How does the AP Poll work"?

That all depends on what you want the outcome to be.

As an example: "Which chocolate pieces do you you use in chocolate chip cookies? Hersheys or Nestles?

Just naming one before the other will get a higher response, positive, on the first one.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

DJ, I think he's asking about the AP football poll, not a political voter poll.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Very close to what DJ said. They have a list of people who agree with them on other things. They call them.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Hershey's. No wait, what were the other choices?

;) sorry bout the vague question, yeah, the college football rankings.