manifold casting plugs?

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class
Whats a better seal? a threaded plug or a freeze plug for the casting holes on a manifold. Does water flow there or is that the exhaust chamber? My old ones were threaded but my new ones have a pressed freeze plug. I will also but high temp silicon just in case(added protection)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: manifold casting plugs?

They have never been threaded OEM, they have been using the hammer in plugs forever. Obviously, some previous owner had his own ideas. It's a water passage, and no since wasting your time with sillycone.

a70eliminator

Captain

Just curious as to why you all say no to silicone and even call it silycone, I know if you overdo it chunks can break loose and wreak havoc on oil pumps, impellers, block passages ect, but it is waterproof and good for underwater applications as well as high temp, heck you can apply the stuff directly to exhaust headers and it wont burn off so what gives?

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class

My old ones had a star plug. I though it was threaded. Didn't look like a freeze plug. My mistake.

erikgreen

Captain

Just curious as to why you all say no to silicone and even call it silycone, I know if you overdo it chunks can break loose and wreak havoc on oil pumps, impellers, block passages ect, but it is waterproof and good for underwater applications as well as high temp, heck you can apply the stuff directly to exhaust headers and it wont burn off so what gives?

There's a pretty good bias against silicone (RTV) here because a lot of boat owners tend to assume that it's a good marine sealant. It's not, but they don't know that, so it tends to get used to keep water out everywhere, and does a rotten job.

On my boat I had to clean it out of the drain plug hole, all the through holes for instrument wires, the dump for the bilge pump, and around windows and hatches... all because it wasn't sealing any more (it typically lasts something like 1 season). I replaced it with 3m 4200, which is a marine polyurethane sealant.

Others here can tell you why polyurethane is better than silicone for marine sealing.

I did use high temp RTV silicone to seal some engine gaskets, because that's a good use for it. You could use it for anywhere you need a seal on a high heat component, really. But it's a far better idea to just make sure the freeze plug or whatever fits right in the first place.. and if it fits right, why use silicone or another sealer at all?

Wouldn't you rather know if the plug is corroded so you can replace it, instead of getting a false sense of security?

So there are a few uses for silicone, but most folks on this board have run into it being used wrong enough times to hate it :)

Erik

a70eliminator

Captain

sotty didn't mean to hyjack your thread with the silicone question. But still there is some useful information there.

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class

the casting freeze plugs are in the inside when bolted up so you cant see them. I figured some high temp silicon wouldn't hurt for extra protection,that's all. I should hope that the new manifolds wouldn't leak anyways.

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class

is the marine 3M 4200 a high temp sealant?

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, it's rated to 100F degrees.

Bondo

Staff member

the casting freeze plugs are in the inside when bolted up so you cant see them. I figured some high temp silicon wouldn't hurt for extra protection,that's all. I should hope that the new manifolds wouldn't leak anyways.

Do you plan to Pull the coreplugs,+ Reinstall them with this sealant,..??..??....

I ask because, Slathering sealant all around over the Outside does Absoltuely Nothing.......

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The RTV you buy at the auto parts store as been modified to no end from what Dow Corning actually developed and doesn't work near as well. If you want RTV that actually works see the ADDY below. This stuff flows well into cracks and crevices and will dam near stick to grease.

"http://secure.silmid.com/varius.engine?w=2&ref=16&language=1&code=SILA01&group=2"

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is a time and a place for any kind of sealant. But globbing on a bunch of silicon (of any kind) or even 4200 or 5200 sealant over the outside of a core plug is NOT going to do anything. It won't stop a leak, and it won't hold the plug in. So why do it and make the manifold look like some hack got ahold of it.

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I'll leave the plugs alone. Thanks for the tip....