Deep Cycle Battery BRANDS?

buhuskies

Seaman Apprentice
Years ago(many many) even Sears used to market a strictly only Deep Cycle battery or two. Now it seems most offerings are "dual purpose" starting and deep cycle. is that the norm today (Dual purpose)?

Anyone know if places like Walmart, Sams Club or Sears sell deep Cycle batteries today? What brands are out there and what brand do you yourself recommend? (I dont need dual purpose, I need deep cycle for a trolling motor application) I am aware of Optima brand and Trolling Thunder, but thats about it. Any others?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Deep Cycle Battery BRANDS?

Most lead acid batteries are made by just a few manufacturers and branded by whoever is going to sell them. Interstate comes to mind as the major maker.

I don't really know if the dual purpose batteries are a compromise between the engineering features of starting and deep cycle batteries and therefore less than ideal for either purpose while competent at both.

I have been using a WalMart Everstart Marine Maxx (the big yellow one) dual purpose battery for quite a few years. I use it for starting and for running electronics and trollers up to 55lb. Never had a problem. I think that battery is made by Interstate.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Both styles of batteries are readily available. While some manufacturers like Optima claim their deep cycles can be used for starting duty, the jury in many cases is still out on whether a dual purpose is as effective as deep cycle for the intended purpose. If you have an outboard, I'd say a dual purpose is fine for starting but why spend the extra money when a marine starting battery is cheaper. Apply that money toward a deep cycle. Any farm store, Sam's Club, Auto Stores etc., all peddle dual purpose and deep cycle. As mentioned, buy what's on sale, and buy the largest capacity you have room for. The difference in price is generally small and in a boat you can't have too much power -- just too little.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've been using Trojan batteries, but the last one i bought, has been replace twice, and this one is going bad. under warranty, but still a pain to exchange.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I also used that big yellow Everstart and had good luck with it. I haven't seen that battery at WalMart for some time though. I just bought a blue top Optima which is dual purpose, but the yellow top is purely deep cycle I believe. I've read really good reviews on this battery.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Years ago(many many) even Sears used to market a strictly only Deep Cycle battery or two. Now it seems most offerings are "dual purpose" starting and deep cycle. is that the norm today (Dual purpose)?

Anyone know if places like Walmart, Sams Club or Sears sell deep Cycle batteries today? What brands are out there and what brand do you yourself recommend? (I dont need dual purpose, I need deep cycle for a trolling motor application) I am aware of Optima brand and Trolling Thunder, but thats about it. Any others?

I suggest the Trojan 30XHS 12v 130 amp hour deep cycle battery.I have 6 in my GEM electric car.Motive power is the hardest application on batteries.
My car reduces the 6 batteries to 40% in less than an hour running time.
In ideal conditionc they might go a little over an hour.Thats about a 25 to 30 mile range.These rugged batteries will take about 3 years of this use.Deep cycles should not be discharged to less than 40% And the less you discharge in typical use the more cycles the battery can do.Here in the north east the 30XHS is about $150.Gander mtn may have them for less but check the date code.
My next choice is the DEKA 105 amp hour Deep cycle. Don't remember the model but it is a group 30 same as the Trojan.The DEKA is about $85 whole sale here in the north east.and I may go with these in my car even though they may not make 3 years use.Stay away from Exide I had terrible luck with them in our electric scrubbers at work.

StrykeKing

Cadet

I've used Interstate for over fifteen years in all my vehicles and boats with no problems whatsoever, not a big fan of the dual purpose ones because it's a compromise in performance. Unless space is an issue I would go with a deep cycle and cranking.

Regardless of which you choose remember that proper maintenance is the key to long battery life. Have a look at Interstates web site, the FAQ's should answer any questions you might have.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I think how you care for your battery is more important than brand. Do not discharge deep cycle batteries more than 50 percent and recharge as soon as possible.

I will admit that I know many people that had lots of trouble with both K-mart I think Exide and Sears Diehard in auto but of course they were not deep cycle.

The same people seem to have trouble with every type battery they get. Other never have any trouble.

Do not discharge DEEP Cycle more than 50 percent or Starting more that 20 percent. When discharged recharge as soon as you can. When you get home Plug it in to a good automatic or smart battery charger 10 amps or more. Do not wait until the next morning to start recharging. In Summer charge at least once a month and in winter at least every two month and your battery will treat you right.

FLATHEAD

Commander

The only way to go with deep cycle batteries these days is with an AGM. It stands for (absorbed glass matt). A few company's make them including DEKA. I run these on a boat I have set up for electric motor only lakes. I can literally go all day and run for miles and miles and still have some juice at the end of the day, No problems running them down all the way. They charge fast and hold a charge well.

Read all about them and other battery's here.
"http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

edge13

Recruit

I am running a 1998 Mercury 175 EFI and am running a Trojan SM1100...tonnes of power.

For the trolling motor, I am running 2 of the SCS 225's. I've run them in the swamps with no problems at all for 8 hours.

Definitely worth every penny from my experience.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Want a good tip ....... if you have an Interstate dealer in the area talk to them..... I have purchased all my batteries directly from them as "blems" and they are the same quality as the over the counter ones.... same warranty.

It pays to ask and saves some bucks.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I have a pair of the Walmart Marine Maxx dual purpose batteries also. They have worked fine for both starting purposes and running my trolling motor. They also have a very good warranty which any Walmart will honor. I even brought a smaller version of what I have now into my local Wally World without a receipt and it was replaced, no questions asked, in the larger size to match the 2nd battery that I was also purchasing that day. I ended up paying about 2 dollars for the replacement and the 70 dollar regular price for the additional battery.