97 crestliner fish hawk

rhodesian

Cadet
Guys,
As a south african, this is my 1st aluminium boat.( bought it last week)
After a short trip, where I was on the water for 20 min...I seemed to get a hell of lot of water out of the drain plug,...yet the hull looks great. I cannot see any suspect spot on the bottom of the boat.
I saw the drain plug had an O ring as a seal and was in hand tight.
any suggestions

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 97 crestliner fish hawk

I assume this is a threaded plug? If so, seal the threads with teflon tape or any other sealant (no permanent sealers) as this will be for test purposes only. With the plug sealed, launch the boat and with a good light, watch the drain area in the bilge. If there is water intrusion you should be able to see whether it's coming from the stern or somewhere else in the boat. The four engine mounting bolts may not have been sealed well and may be the source of the leak -- especially the lower two.

rhodesian

Cadet

it is threaded, the bilge pump is right at the back against the transom...(I have not heard it run, or know if it works.)..where is the exhaust for the bilge?) but space is limited, so..if I do have a leak, I better be looking as the boat goes into the water..so need to get assistance on next launch.
appreciate the help.
Are these reliable boats?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check the dash for a bilge pump switch. It may be a single ON/OFF switch or a three way ON-OFF-AUTO style. In the ON position the pump should run. Follow the hose from the pump. it should exit via a through-hull fitting at the stern or side of the boat. Check the fuse if the pump doesn't run.

rhodesian

Cadet

Fleet Admiral,
You were right, its coming from the STRIPPED THEADS on the drain plug.....there is so little material to play with or retap the thread, I am thinking of welding plug in position, then making a drain hole in the "proper position" at the back.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated (except sell it and buy fibreglass)
Harry

D

DJ

Harry,

I HATE putting new holes, in a transom. Figure out a way to seal the current plug.

Also, figure out how your bilge pump works. I'll bet the discharge hose is rotten.

Yes, Crestliners are very good boats. Tough and durable.

rhodesian

Cadet

These permanent sealers? ...do they work?
I just cannot believe the two or three threads on the hull drain hole, surely you would expect at least 8 or 9 threads on something that is loosened often.
...I think its a @#$%$^ idea.
Harry

D

DJ

These permanent sealers? ...do they work?
I just cannot believe the two or three threads on the hull drain hole, surely you would expect at least 8 or 9 threads on something that is loosened often.
...I think its a @#$%$^ idea.
Harry

Harry,

Why can't you just use one of the rubber "expandable" drain plugs?

rhodesian

Cadet

PJ
There is not enough material, all that will happen is the aluminium will cut into the expanding rubber...and with it being on the bottom of the boat, anything protruding out the bottom has forces from the water while moving.
But you have given me another idea.....get a steel bolt, with 2 large washers and a nut....place washer on head of bolt, insert from bottom...washer on from other side, tighten nut.......WOHOOO .

rhodesian

Cadet

Guys,
It works...WOHOOOOOOO
The steel bolt with washers worked great
After 2 hours on the water, I ended up with about 1" of water in the back, which is coming from the new pump I put in for the livewell. ( Which I thought was a bilge pump)....you know, the cheap and nasty nylon thread type, that I stripped putting it in.
So tomorrow, put in new bilge pump, with exhaust out the hole in the oversplash and should be setting fishing records shortly.
Thanks for all your help
Harry

rhodesian

Cadet

Guys,
Another question.....I presume my cranking battery is being charged as I use the engine, while the trolling motor is not.....am I correct.?
How difficult is to set up a battery charging system, like you hear or see on the later boats ( looks like 2 cranking batteries)
My cranking battery went flat on me this morning, would not even turn my motor.....so after many mumbles,( missus was with me, so I had to keep it down) changed leads to the trolling battery and it worked fine. ( have since bought a charger and battery is ready for tomorrow am.)

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Your motor is probably charging your cranking battery. But, unless you start the motor in the morning, then run it for 4 hours before stopping again, it is doubtful that it will keep that battery charged alone. The engine doesn't give the battery much power at all. You need to buy a good battery meter, to go along with your new charger. I don't know the cost of them where you live, but around here, a good enough one can be had for 20 bucks. Charge your batteries until they get to be 12.66 volts, or a tad more. Check them every so often, when they are stored, and before EVERY trip, and make sure they are at 12.66 volts.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

You do not say what size motor you have on the boat but most if not all motor in 1997 have plenty of amps to charge the cranking battery. The alternator should replace the power required to start your motor in just a few minutes. Now if your running live well pumps and bilge pumps with out the motor running they will drain the battery and it will take longer to charge.

If your alternator is working the battery voltage when running should be between 13.8 volts and 14.8 volts.

Charging a trolling motor battery with the motor's alternator will take a long time. Some alternators are not big enough to do the job. If you have a discharged trolling motor battery most alternator will still take many hours to charge, so better to charge with a battery charger at home or at the dock.

rhodesian

Cadet

Guys...Im back.
Eletrical problem..?
I have 2 red wires, one thin , one thick going to my trolling battery,(positive side) both of them have a fuse connector....the big fuse keeps on blowing?
What is the proper amperage fuse used, as I have tried 20, 25 and 30 and can see the spark as it blows when I try to connect it.
The only thing I have connected is the new pump for the live well and connected brown to brown and black to black.( it works fine)
My cranking battery seems to loose power very quickly, but thats a different circut is it not? ( I will be purchasing a new cranking battery tomorrow)
The trolling battery is brand new.

rhodesian

Cadet

Guys,
Found the problem, rain water gathering on my boat cover, filled up an area and sagged down onto my trolling motor pedal, so it was trying to run the motor .( the prop was against the deck and tied down, so it would allow it to turn)
I have another question.
1997 evinrude 50 hp spl, with oil injection.......how do you confirm the oil injection is working? the level of oil seems to stay constant..yet motor runs great and I get blue smoke out of the exhaust, while running the water phones.