Mounting Flange problem.

tigerhack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i find i have a leak right at my mounting flange, part of it is eaten away , (small area) can i aluminum weld it , are fiberglass it then put on back the bellow with the clamp ? it happens more if i trim the foot up. i dont want to pull this all down again it is a night mare , but if i could have a safe way to fix this i would be thankfull of . (1992 regal 233xl 5.7 litre)

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mounting Flange problem.

i had a crack at the mounting flange at both the bell housing and transom sides at my pre alpha outdrive.i noticed that at the base of the flange ,there were three edges so that if i made a steel colar and attached it round the flange and ater filled it with epoxy glue it would fit tightly.i did it and at least for one season it worked fine but i can't know for how much it will keep working.

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer

i had a crack at the mounting flange at both the bell housing and transom sides at my pre alpha outdrive.i noticed that at the base of the flange ,there were three edges so that if i made a steel colar and attached it round the flange and ater filled it with epoxy glue it would step on the edges and would fit tightly.i did it and at least for one season it worked fine but i can't know for how much it will keep working.i have to check or rebuild it every season.

tigerhack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had a crack at the mounting flange at both the bell housing and transom sides at my pre alpha outdrive.i noticed that at the base of the flange ,there were three edges so that if i made a steel colar and attached it round the flange and ater filled it with epoxy glue it would step on the edges and would fit tightly.i did it and at least for one season it worked fine but i can't know for how much it will keep working.i have to check or rebuild it every season.

could i attemp fixing this with out pulling off the drive ? and other things, you should know my history by now?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mounting flange for what??????
The bellows, the drive?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Mounting flange for what??????
The bellows, the drive?

I thought he was talking about the gimbal housing... I use to be unsure, now I'm not certain...

Chris............

Bondo

Staff member

you should know my history by now?

Ayuh,........

It took 1/2 way though his 2nd thread about the same Issue to finally find out he has a Mercruiser........
I'm pretty sure that All 106,001 members of iboats Remembers that Hack has a 1992 regal 233xl 5.7 litre Mercruiser Alpha............:rolleyes:

T-Hack is all about Incomplete Questions,+ No Feed back from his self......

I guess because this is Al Gore's Internet,..... We're all Mind Readers,......
Time for the Crystal Ball Don,...........................

Btw,....... Back to Topic,.......
Hack........
Normal procedure to repair Your Issue is to Replace the Rotten Parts,........
That means pulling the Motor,+ Drive........ Then installing replacement parts......

Don S

I remembered it was a Merc, I just don't know what he is calling a "Mounting Flange"

TH. For what we do on this forum, what type of boat you have doesn't help a bit, we need to know Make, model and serial number of your engine if possible, and what type drive you have. Like I have suggested to many, add that information to your signature and you won't have to type it in everytime you ask a question.

Just click here to edit your signature.

achris

Ayuh,........

It took 1/2 way though his 2nd thread about the same Issue to finally find out he has a Mercruiser........
I'm pretty sure that All 106,001 members of iboats Remembers that Hack has a 1992 regal 233xl 5.7 litre Mercruiser Alpha............:rolleyes:

'Morning Mr B...

Didn't you get the free 'photographic memory' upgrade when you joined iBoats? I thought we (us mechanic types) all got it....

Hack, Don't assume we can all remember everything you write here. We are also reading about 50 other people's topics as well. I post, on average, about 10 a day when I'm active. Can't remember all of them and have to reread some that I've posted in. When you ask a question give all relevant information, even if you think you are repeating yourself.

Chris..........

achris

Don S.

Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time,
But always enough time to do it again?

Oh how true!!!!!

tigerhack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I remembered it was a Merc, I just don't know what he is calling a "Mounting Flange"

TH. For what we do on this forum, what type of boat you have doesn't help a bit, we need to know Make, model and serial number of your engine if possible, and what type drive you have. Like I have suggested to many, add that information to your signature and you won't have to type it in everytime you ask a question.

Just click here to edit your signature.

thank you Don.

Don S

Which side, bellhousing side or transom shield side?

Don S

If the transom shield is the side rotted out, go to ghrkits.com for an alternative to replacement of the transom shield. Never tried it myself, and never will, but you might want to.
If the bellhousing is bad, replace it.
PS: You have an Alpha I Gen II outdrive, not an Alpha I. Also you have a 92 boat, but that doesn't make the engine (and accessories) a 92. That is why those who know, ask for a Serial number.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

your best bet is to check the transom first before you go ordering anything.

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer

if you consider it a problem to pull off the outdrive to repair the flanges you'd better give it to a pro to do it for you.if you take into consideration the money it 'll cost you having changed transom or bell-housing or both of them by a pro then it may be the easiest thing to pull off the drive.