Securing fuel tank to wood floor

Drowned Rat

Captain
Hi guys. I have a 12 gallon fuel tank I want to secure with straps to a plywood floor. I know what I need to do this, but I can't find it and I don't know what the piece of hardware is called so I can search for it. It's a little bracket?? that would screw to the floor with a screw at each end. You could then run a strap through it and over the tank to secure it. They provide plastic ones in those black battery boxes you can buy to secure the box to the deck with the strap that also comes with it, but I want a metal one (preferably stainless). What the heck is that thing called and does anyone know where I can find a stainless one??

Thanks gang!!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: Securing fuel tank to wood floor

Try Lowes - they have a good selection of hardware and it is all placed in bins by metal type. They probably have somethin in stainless that would do the trick.

Also, just a suggestion but I recommend mounting blocks on all four sides of the tank. The weight of the fuel will keep the tank from trying to "jump" in seas, etc. and the blocks will prevent lateral movement. This reduces the load on the strap and the deck fastener, whicj usually will only have two small screws securing it to the deck.

I would not place the metal tank directly on top of the wood. A small gasoline resistant rubber mat between them would help stop any sliding and cushion the tank.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Thanks for the fast replys!

Jay, I think your wood block idea is a good one. I'll do something like that. I am going to through bolt the plywood too instead of using wood screws so that should help too.

bhile. Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

fairlane. I have a plastic tank, but I still like your idea of the rubber mat. Gasket material?? What do you think?

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

I was thinking whyle i was reading that it sounds like those things that you use with the black battery boxes! I used them for a lot of things but you can buy better things to hold straps in place. Some of them have push button release. So that way its faster and easier to remove the fuel tank. You want to use at least 2 straps on a 12 gallon tank. Is it a plastic or a metal gas tank? I used the same plastic things you are talking about for supporting my gas tanks down. I have 2 6 gallon tanks and a 5 gallon tank that i switch all around as they run out. I use the 2 6 gallon ones mostly. The 5 gallon tank is a "holly **** we are out of gas" back up tank. I ran out of gas one time about a mile and a half from the ramp in the bay one time. I keep that extra 5 gallon tank on there now! 115 hp yamaha runs through a 6 gallon tank pretty fast!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've all was used blocks.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Hi drew. I'm not as concerned about how easy it will be to move around, just that it's removable. This will be the boat's sole tank. It does need to be bomb proof however as this boat is going to be used in big whitewater. I'm thinking 2 cam straps attached to these brackets that will be through bolted in the floor along with blocks to prevent lateral movement should do it. If the thing shakes loose after all that, I'll probably have significant damage to the rest of the boat and I won't really care about the fuel tank. :) I should add that if my piloting skills are "on" for the day, this should never really be an issue. However, planning for the "Oh s***!!" factor is always a good idea.

Thanks for the help. I plan on taking pictures of this monstrosity when I'm done (probably mid January) and I'll post for critique.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a plastic tank, but I still like your idea of the rubber mat. Gasket material?? What do you think?

Walmart, CostCo, and auto supply stores have different styles of mats available as an oil drip catcher. This might be a good idea, but some designs may be better suited as far as cutting to fit.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

How about a good quality automotive floor mat for rubber material between the tank and floor? The rubber itself should maybe be attached in some way so that it doesn't work it's way out from under there.