wet transom remove outboard engine

joseph L

Seaman
I have a 1982 Pursuit Tiara 20 foot 150 mercury outboard. I have water in the transom. It looks like it is coming from the self draining cockpit drainholes. The drainholes are just below water level. Are they supposed to be that low? Poked the wood with a sharp all and the point went in about an 1/8 inch with force. I don't think it is rotted but just wet. Had some stress cracks in the fiberglass. Not sure if it is from old age or a weak transom. How do you know when it is dry enough to seal it up? Also, how much weight does it add when the transom is wet? What is the best way to dry it out without drilling holes all over? In the battery compartment the previous owner drilled holes in the floor to run cables on one side. The foam is very wet. What is the best way to dry it out?

Last edited:

JCF350

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: wet transom

Remove the hull drain fitting or tube and check for rot/moisture there. If there is you might as well start looking for another hull (unless you want to replace the transom). Stress cracks in the gelcoat are common. If it extends into the actual glass laminations it's transom or hull time The foam beneath the floor will dry out but it takes time (think months). About the best way to check for water content in the foam would be to weigh the boat. I don't think the transom will hold enough water to make much difference in weight unless the wood is completely gone.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

On the transom, that one spot you poked at can be deceiving. One spot can seem hard then the wrest of the transom can be rotten as can be. The only holes that should be in the transom is for the motor mount holes, bilge drain, maybe the live well aerator, and transducer mount holes for a depth finder. Sounds like a transom replacement, maybe a stringer replacement and floor replacement will need to be done some time soon. The foam staying wet, I believe that would help or aid in rotting the stringers. This is why if you trailer that boat it needs to be covered up. If the foam isn't getting wet from the weather, then it means you must have a leak. Just my 2 cents.

Do you have a way to post pictures of the holes you are talking about on the transom?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

well... water weighs 8lbs a gallon...
the wood will pretty much never dry out.
the only thing you can really do is to try to garage it, preferably heated.
toss a tarp on the boat and tape it to the hull with painters tape. leave a corner untaped and throw a dehumidifier in it over the winter.
It well help... but it won't make it perfect.
most boats from the 80's were built like crap... so there's not a ton you can do.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I go along with pretty much what has been said. Maybe watch that the hull does not take a set that is a distorted shape by making sure the trailer or blocking really supports the hull properly. Maybe take the engine off also while it dries.

You might e-mail/send a letter to the boat builder with photos that show all the holes and see if there is anyone there that might remember what is stock and what was done by prior owners, as you mention some low located holes.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

drill some small holes from the inside, 1/4 - 3/16 dry good wood the shavings will look new., wet dark mush. it will never dry out, start planning to replace the transom. either the conventional way or with seacast. reseal the holes you drilled with 3m 5200 or marine tex.

your stringers may also be involved.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If the foam is wet it probably will never dry.Once the wood in the transom is wet its about impossible to dry.Can you grab the outboard and get the transom to flex? If so its time for a rebuild.Do as Tashasdaddy stated,drill a few small holes from the inside,just into the wood not all the way through.If the shavings are dark you have rot.Also those holes will ooze water.
Wet foam and transom can add hundreds of pounds to the weight..:(

joseph L

Seaman

Boat looks good. I pulled on the engine like you said and the transom didn't move but the boat did. It seems okay to me, but I have some issues on the wet wood. I scraped hard and some pieces of wood came off. So I guess it's not rotted but I am not sure. Also, the pieces of wood are wet and dark. The bolts are holding the engine on and the nuts on the inside pushed in the fiberglass a little. I am not sure if they tightned it too much or if it is rotting. Should I pull engine off to check?

P.S. I am not sure if I should replace the transom yet with Seacast or something better. If any other information please send.

Thanks for all the replys.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if the bolts a starting to sink you have rot inside. i haven't done seacast yet, buy i've done several the convention a way of removing the interior, and non conventional way of sliding the new wood into the sleave of the transom,(doesn't work well). my next one will be seacast.

joseph L

Seaman

I pulled on the transom, it didn't notice any movement. Since you said it has rot. Is it better to replace it now or continue using it.when i have 2to 3 people in the rear of the boat I take on a couple of inches of water. I was planning to close the self draining cockpit holes and add a drain to the bilge.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I pulled on the transom, it didn't notice any movement. Since you said it has rot. Is it better to replace it now or continue using it.when i have 2to 3 people in the rear of the boat I take on a couple of inches of water. I was planning to close the self draining cockpit holes and add a drain to the bilge.

I say if you continue to use the boat like it is then you are taking a chance on having a very bad day on the water, you could loose your engine off the back of your boat. Could you picture loosing the motor off of the transom when going full speed or say you hit a stump with the foot of the motor and it rips the motor and transom right off of your boat. You would be playing it safer with a new transom and a piece of mind that you don't half to worry about that motor going bye bye off the back of your boat and taking a dive into the water.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

its rotten i had the exact same symptoms on my transom on my 16ft fiberglass and decided to rebuild although i dident think it was all that bad but upon tearing into it i found the wood to be most defently rotten

joseph L

Seaman

her are the pictures of the holes in the transom. the holes are self draning cockpit drainholes. thay are just below water level

Coors

Captain

wet=rot. soft=rot. rot cannot be stopped.
It can only be pulled out piece by little piece.
an replaced with epoxy, or seacast.
just been through it.

joseph L

Seaman

Hi Coors,

What make boat do you have? How do your project go and do you have any tips for me before I start my repair? Also, did you use Seacast to repair the transom?

joseph L

Seaman

On the transom, that one spot you poked at can be deceiving. One spot can seem hard then the wrest of the transom can be rotten as can be. The only holes that should be in the transom is for the motor mount holes, bilge drain, maybe the live well aerator, and transducer mount holes for a depth finder. Sounds like a transom replacement, maybe a stringer replacement and floor replacement will need to be done some time soon. The foam staying wet, I believe that would help or aid in rotting the stringers. This is why if you trailer that boat it needs to be covered up. If the foam isn't getting wet from the weather, then it means you must have a leak. Just my 2 cents.

Do you have a way to post pictures of the holes you are talking about on the transom
Her are some pictures of the holes in the transom.Holes are self draning cockpet drainholes

D

DJ

I would not close up your deck bailing holes and divert the water to the bilge. That can cause other problems. It's OK if they are under water, at rest as long as no water can get around them into the transom, as you know the results of that.

I would:

1. Put the boat on a trailer.

2. Remove the engine.

3. Find out where the wood ends. The wood usually does not extend all the way down to the bottom of the hull.

4. Drill small holes where the wood ends and let it set and set and set with the bow as high up as possible. You can sometimes help force the water out with a shop vac duct taped to a hole.

If you have to replace the wood, it's probably easier done, on that boat from the outside. Basically, you would just cut the outer skin off. Replace the wood and replace the skin. That requires a lot of fiberglass work but it will be strong and better than new.

Once you are satisfied that the water is out, seal up everything with either 3M 4200 or 5200, or glass mat and epoxy, if needed. This step is important. Once the wood has been wet, air is its enemy. It must be SEALED.

This is not fun but that is a nice boat well worth putting the time and effort into.

joseph L

Seaman

When i have 2 or 3 people in the rear of the boat. I take on a couple of inches of water. Your feet gat wet,Water comes in about 3 feet in

D

DJ

When i have 2 or 3 people in the rear of the boat. I take on a couple of inches of water. Your feet gat wet,Water comes in about 3 feet in

Not uncommon. I suspect your hull/foam is waterlogged too. :-(