2004 Johnson 40HP Oil Injection

thazard

Recruit
Just bought a used 2004 Johnson 40HP outboard from the previous owner who wanted a larger motor. Owner said that after I get everything hooked up that I should run 50:1 premix through it until I'm sure the oil injection is working properly.
Makes me nervous. Considering just running premix and not worrying about hooking up the oil injection. From reading other posts it sounds like that can sometimes be a problem if the motor uses the injection oil for other lubrication purposes. Is that correct.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2004 Johnson 40HP Oil Injection

Can o worms here you have opened. He want you to do that just to be sure the oil is being delivered as it should before you fry the engine. He doesn't want you calling saying the motor seized and he has to buy it back. Do as he says, run it with premix, make sure the tank is being drawn from and trust it from there. If you don't see any loss from the oil tank in 20 - 30 gals of gas, then the oiling system has not picked up like it should and the premix saved your butt.

Others here will tell you to bypass the VRO/OMS system, but that is up to you.... read thru and make your decision. Premixing yourself : you have yourself to blame if something happens, trusting the engines' oil system: with it out of warrantee...no one to blame.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2004 Johnson 40HP Oil Injection

He's right. Mark the level of oil in the oil tank and run 50:1 premix until you are sure the oil level in the oil tank is dropping. If it is, you are good to go. The engine has a good injection system. No need to disconnect it.