Exhaust manifold elbow gasket????

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,, boat is a 1995 Bayliner Capri 1854, 3.0 mercruiser. Problem is I just pulled the rear elbow from the exhaust manifold (U shaped with 2 large bolts holding it on), it was leaking,, after cleaning off the old gasket I went to install the new gasket,, we'll here's the possible problem. The hole into the manifold is square and on 3 sides it has holes for water to pass,, each of the 3 sides has two separate holes (apparently one whole split in half),, problem is the new gasket only has one large hole on each of the 3 sides and this one hole isn't even large enough for all the water to enter. Hard to discribe,, I guess I could cut the gasket and make it larger,, or who knows maybe this is the way it's designed,, or possibly the wrong part?? Any ideas???

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Exhaust manifold elbow gasket????

Did you get the proper OEM gasket, or some cheap aftermarket imatation?
The proper gasket is PN 27-99777 2 from your Merc dealer.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably my first of many mistakes, The gasket kit I got is mfg by Mallory marine products, it's p/n is 9-61405,,, guess i'll visit the local mercruiser dealer and compare gaskets..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You will also notice that the Merc gasket has a graphite coating and does NOT use any sealer. That alone makes the gasket last longer and seal better.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

The website I ordered from was eBasicpower.com

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I love Ebasic Power for water pump parts, etc...

Exhaust riser/elbow gaskets are absolutely the ones I always order directly from Mercury Parts Express. I then just drop over and pick them up from the local Mercury dealer I indicate on the order. They're just not that much more expensive than the "cheap imitations"!

Risers and elbows are the LAST place you want have a leak!!

Cheers,

Rick

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes I rec'd the whole kit and all the gaskets have the black coating on them and appear to be quality,, not junk as i've seen before.. Oh well,, off to compare dealer prices.. Thanks to all...

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the guy at the mercruiser parts dept swore that I had the wrong gasket until he pulled out the one made by mercruiser which was exactly the same as the one I had.. What about oil pan gaskets,,, I asked the mercruiser rep and he said their boat specific,,, sounds like b.s. to me???? Plus he wants $87 for the stupid thing.. I thought before I install this motor I might as well drop the oil pan just to check for sludge or any obvious bottom end damage,, what do you guys think?? Can I go to advance and get an oil pan gasket??

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

27-810846 is the part number for the pan gasket. There is no such thing as "boat specific" oil pan gaskets.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Also, make sure the exhaust mating surfaces are perfectly level and true. Any dips, untrueness or rust will put you dead in the water fast.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just checked EBAY, their listing Marine oil pan gaskets for the mercruiser 3.0 engine?? Can I pick up one at an auto parts store? This engine was originally out of a 89 searay, who is the 3.0 made by?

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Chevrolet. NAPA should have it.

watermellonI

Petty Officer 1st Class

I m in the process of a rebuild and the new gasket mercury changed to is a one piece that covers three sides of the oil pan and is made of neoprene, it is expensive but you wont have to worry about leaks as long as you dont overtork the pan bolts, most auto gaskets are two or three piece and made of cork, mercruiser had that changed a while back.

brokemerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea i've been down that multi piece gasket road,,, never again.. One piece is worth it's weight in gold.. Thanks..