Flywheel binding 66 Johnson 20 hp

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did a search but didn't get the answer I was looking for. Installed new points,coils and condensers this morning and everything went together fine.Engine turns easily using the prop in gear to set points. I cleaned the mating surfaces and installed the flywheel, snugged it and then torqued to 45 lbs. It's binding on something and won't turn very far. I took it off and tried again,same thing. So is there a trick to this? I'm sure it's nothing major. I used OMC parts.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Flywheel binding 66 Johnson 20 hp

it's hitting the coil. the base of the coil should line up with the boss on the timing plate. the boss is the notch on each end of the coil. blue marks in pic.

Attachments

• boatmotor0012.jpg
    boatmotor0012.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kinda what I figured. So loosen up the screws and tap in until it's flush and tighten back up?

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

That was it. Thanks. When you set points, do you line up the rub block with the key or where it says top?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i turn the shaft till the points are at the widest they will get. then set that set of points, then rotate till the other set is at the widest point, then set them. never had a problem doing it that way.

cc67

Petty Officer 1st Class

I checked them at the key and where it says top and could not tell any difference.