dumb question

bfi

Cadet
Took the boat out fishing todayy and it ran great all day. Got back to the marina and while loading the boat back on the trailer the engine stuttered and died at idle. Tried to restart . It to longer than ususal to restart and had to use warm up lever to rev up then went to put in gear at idle then stubled at died again. Used the trolling motor to get it to the trailer then wenched up as others were wanting to use the ramp so I didn't have time to fiddle with it. Got it back to the house and put it on the muffs and cranked up stuttered a few time at idle then seemed to line out. Upon pulling the cowling for inspection I found the little hose that goes from the bottom of the breather box to the intake had come loose. Could this hose have caused my symptom or is that simply to lead fuel dumped from extreme tilting back to the intake. I know on my truck I've had a vacuum line come loose and cause idle issues. Could this be a similar situation?
Thanks John D.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: dumb question

Hard to answer this question without some info on the engine. What make/model/year is it?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You are correct on the use of the hose. A number of engines may drip fuel out of the carb throats if tilted in a high position. That hose, once connected to the airbox, sucks unused (excess) fuel, back into the lower cylinder to burn it off. If it came off, it should not be the sole reason for a no start condition. I would reconnect it- as the final orfice in the airbox acts as a regulator, causing a "restriction", to reduce airflow into the bottom cyl. Pull your plugs out and see if they are wet or dry. Check your plugs for spark. Did the fuel line bulb go flat, or rock hard?

bfi

Cadet

1980 2cyl 60 hp evinrude. Bulb was rock hard. As far as checking the plugs and for spark etc etc I just haven't had time yet. Perhaps this afternoon after church.

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

Just do your basics first: Check the plugs, compression, spark and fuel filter condition. That hose has nothing to do with the running quality of the engine.

bfi

Cadet

Gave the motor another look. Pulled the plugs and seeing as they haven't been changed in 1.5 to 2 years I believe they were due. I bet they were worn to 0090. So new plugs and a little fuel condisioner and took it fishing yesterday. It ran and started up just fine all day. So who knows it could have been as simple as needing new plugs but if not I've got backup powerpack, coils, fuel pump and tools onboard just in case .

Thanks for the advice